Tamer Fawki is a Partner at Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy and the Head of the Employment and Labor practice. Tamer has been with the firm for 25 years, starting when the law firm was Bassiouny Law Firm.
He has a deep bench of experience in providing clients with comprehensive legal support in relation to Employment and Labor in Egypt and all human resources matters, as well as a wide range of regulatory advice to clients on day-to-day employment, labor and social insurance matters including implementation and enforcement.
In addition to this, Tamer has significant experience in advising on all aspects of investing and doing business in Egypt, particularly in the fields of corporate, real estate, commercial, banking and finance.
Tamer’s practice focuses on employment and labor. He has additionally participated in a number of major transactions during the last period, including the due diligence over the Misr International Bank (MiBank), Bank of Alexandria, the Watani Bank of Egypt, Banque du Caire, El Amreya Metal Company SAE, TCI Chemical Industries, Kandil Steel, Galva Metals, Cairo Scan, Thebes Academy, Nahda University, etc.
- Advising Uber on a variety of matters, including:
- The legality of Uber Eats in Egypt and ceasing business activities of Uber Eats in Egypt;
- Local regulations regarding partial unemployment;
- All employment matters as they relate to the COVID-19 pandemic; and
- Human Resources matters such as benefits, sick leave, holidays, internal policies; etc.
- Advising ABB on Egyptian employment laws, reviewing employment agreements and the establishment of the company’s labor union.
- Advising Grome on Egyptian employment laws, reviewing secondment agreement.
- Representation of Harmonica IT in connection with drafting and reviewing employment agreements and internal policies.
- Assisting the Embassy of Sweden in connection with reviewing employment agreements; and advising on the entitlement of end of service policy.
- Representation of Mashroey in connection with drafting and reviewing employment agreements.
- Representation of Servier in connection with drafting and reviewing employment agreements and internal policies.
- Representation of Cisco in connection with many aspects of labor and social insurance laws including violations committed by employees within the workplace, review of service provision and employment agreements, advising on all employees’ rights and entitlements, regulations governing professional health and safety within the workplace, drafting internship agreements, and drafting and reviewing internal policies and personnel handbook.
- Representation of Wabtec in connection with drafting and reviewing employment agreements, termination and settlement documents, and internal policies.
- Representation of Lekela in connection with drafting and reviewing employment and management agreements, and internal policies.
- Representation of McKinsey & Company and advising on Egyptian employment laws and the procedures governing employment of expatriates in Egypt.
- Assisting Lufkin Industries in drafting lease agreements for their head office in Egypt and a warehouse.
- Assisting the Alexandria Confectionery and Chocolate Company “Corona” in preparing the supply agreements for the October plant machinery.
- Representation of AXA in connection with drafting secondment agreements and advising on profit share and bonus entitlement and procedures governing employment of expatriates in Egypt.
- Representation of Intel Corporation in connection with all employments matters regarding their Egyptian operations including the transfer of employees.
- Representation of Segas in connection with all labor claims, including representation of the client before relevant government authorities and overseeing the renewal of a collective labor bargaining agreement that is concluded with the competent labor union.
- Representation of Integrated Diagnostic Holding Ltd “IDHL”, an affiliate of Abraaj IGCF Company and the owner of Al Borg Laboratories SAE on the acquisition of 100% of Al Mokhtabar Laboratories Company SAE to create the largest private medical diagnostics business in the Middle East and South Asia.
- Representation of EFG-Euro Bank relating to the acquisition of Bank of Alexandria SAE. The instructions included transaction structuring, legal due diligence and drafting the transaction documentation.
- Representation of BNP Paribas in connection with the acquisition of the majority stake in Misr International Bank. The instructions included transaction structuring, legal due diligence and drafting the transaction documentation.
- Representation of Canada-based Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Amoun Pharmaceutical S.A.E. The instructions included transaction structuring, legal due diligence and drafting the transaction documentation. Transaction value: USD 800 million plus deferred payment.
- Representation of Abraaj Group in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake in Tiba Educational Group. The instructions included transaction structuring, legal due diligence and drafting the transaction documentation. Transaction value: USD 100 million plus deferred payment.
- Representation of the owners of Nile Badrawi Hospital on the sale of their shares to Cleopatra Hospital, an Abraaj Capital affiliate. Transaction value: approximately USD 32 million.
Cairo University: LL.B.
- Egyptian Bar Association