Deals & Cases
We have an exceptional track record in every sector and particular strengths in highly regulated industries; we advise on highly complex domestic and international commercial transactions.
Corporate and M&A
Recognized as a leading adviser on Corporate and M&A across the region we are able to combine exceptional transactional skills with specialist expertise and high efficiency ;all these factors enables us to handle complex issues that can arise in a single corporate transaction.
Recent Corporate and M&A Transactions include:
- Tag El Melouk as local counsel in connection with selling 100% of its shares to Dr. Oetker.
- Mubadala Petroleum in the acquisition of 10 percent stake in the Shorouk concession in Egypt’s Zohr gas field. Transaction Value: USD 934 million.
- Cargill as local in the joint venture with Archer Daniels Midland Company.
- Amazon.com as Egyptian counsel in connection with the acquisition of Souq.com. Transaction Value: USD 580 million.
- EFG Hermes in its acquisition of a New Cairo-based elementary schools’ portfolio from Talaat Moustafa Group Holding.Transaction value: EGP 1 billion
- Cairo 3 A in connection with the public takeover of NCMP. Transaction Value: EGP 1.74 Billion.
- Swicorp Private Equity with the sale of its stake in Orchidia Pharmaceuticals.
- AXA Mediterranean in a divestment of 10% shares by the International Finance Corporation (“IFC”). Transaction Value: USD 15 million.
- Neptune Energy Group as Egyptian counsel (transaction internationally led by Freshfields Bruckhaus Derigner) in the acquisition of Engie E&P. Transaction Value: USD 3.9 billion.
- Development Partners International on the acquisition of a majority stake in Egyptian German Industrial Corporate S.A.E.
- Dentsu Aegis Network on the majority acquisition of Digital Republic.
- National Service Authority and Litat Group on the majority acquisition of Solb Misr. Transaction value: USD 1.05 Billion.
- Danone with the acquisition of Halayeb S.A.E.
- Middle East Glass Manufacturing Company with the acquisition of 99% of the share capital of Misr Glass Manufacturing. Transaction Value: EGP 800 million
- Canada-based Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. with the acquisition of Amoun Pharmaceutical S.A.E. Transaction Value: USD 800 million plus deferred payment).
- Commercial International Bank (Egypt) S.A.E in acquiring the consumer banking business of Citibank in Egypt.
- Abraaj Group with the acquisition of a majority stake in Tiba Educational Group. Transaction Value: USD 100 million plus deferred payment.
- Sarwa Capital in an International public offering intended to finance a capital increase and partial exit of some of its major shareholders. Transaction value is EGP 4.5 billion (on-going).
- Egyptian investment bank CI Capital on the listing of 246.9 million ordinary shares on the Egyptian Stock Exchange, representing 43.6% of its capital. Transaction value: EGP 2,091,657,604
- Raya Contact Center S.A.E. in the issuing of up to 48,994 existing ordinary shares representing 48.99% of the company’s outstanding share capital. Transaction Value: over EGP 800 million
- Ibn Sina in an initial public offering of up to 269,381,625 ordinary shares.
- DICE in a primary offering of up to 62.35% of its outstanding share capital listed on EGX, valued at EGP 25 Million.
- Etisalat in a capital increase valued at EGP 4.5 billion (23.16%) – placing the telecommunications giant paid capital at a total of EGP 19.43 billion.
- EG Bank in an issued and paid capital increase by EGP 500 million (USD 27.72 million) via a rights issue.
Public Takeovers / Tender Offers
- Cairo 3 A in connection with the public takeover of NCMP. Transaction value EGP 1.74
- Equity Holding for Investment in its share capital increase. Transaction value: EGP 900 million.
- Gulf Capital in the acquisition of a minority stake in Middle East Glass. Transaction value: EGP 350 million
- Abraaj Capital with a mandatory tender offer for the acquisition of a minority stake in the share capital of Cairo for Investment & Real Estate Development S.A.E., a publicly listed company on the EGX. The total value of the acquisition is approximately EGP 74 million.
- Shapoorji Pallonji Energy Egypt S.A.E. with the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of a turnkey solar PV project with a nominal capacity of 50 MW, located in Benban, Egypt.
- Infinity 50 for Renewable Energy with the financing of a 50MW solar power plant, under the Feed-in Tariff programme (Round 1).
- Masdar with general legal advice relating to the company’s project under the feed in tariff scheme.
- APR Energy with the company’s proposed Equipment Rental Contract with the Egyptian government, and Technical Services Contract for the Rental of Gas Turbine Generators PKG.
- Karm Solar with all matters relating to its establishment and operation and drafting the relevant power purchase agreements FOR OFF GRID PROJECTS.
- Actis and Lekela Power in relation to the 250 MW Wind Power BOO in Gulf of Suez.
- Nuclear Power Plants Authority with regard to the Al Dabaa Nuclear Power Plant project.
Oil, Gas & Mining
- Rosneft in relation to the acquisition of a stake in Egypt’s largest gas concession (Zohr) and all related activities.
- Alexander Nubia Inc, with the company’s two concessions for exploration of gold and associated minerals (Abu Mawarat and Al Fatiri Gold concessions).
- Barminco Egypt to its role as underground mining subcontractor in the Sokary Gold concession.
- Neptune Energy Energy on its participation into an oil concession in the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- BG Egypt in negotiations with the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS) in relation to unitization and abandonment of fields and entry into balancing agreements.
- Booz & Co with the drafting of waste management agreements for the provision of solid waste management services in Egypt’s fastest growing cities.Participating in negotiations with the relevant ministries and drafting model waste management agreement.
- Booz & Co, as advisors to the Egyptian Government with legal advice relating to all laws, regulations and decrees regulating all urban transport modes in Greater Cairo. Provided a legal advice in relation to the creation of an uber regulator for the regulation and operation of all private and public entities involved in urban transport in Cairo.
- Aqualia , in relation to the contrcution of a desalination plant with a capacity of 150,000m3/per day.
- Sonker Bunkering Company S.A.E. with the BOT Concession Agreement entered into between the General Authority for Red Sea Ports, as the concession grantor, and Dubai World Ports – Al Sokhna, as the concessionaire, for the building, management, operation and transfer of the bulk liquids terminal located at Ain Al Sokhna.
- The Egyptian Ministry of Environment, with the rehabilitation of the waste management sector in Egypt.
- The International Finance Corporation (IFC) and the Government of Egypt on the Egyptian law matters related to the concession for the rehabilitation, expansion, operation, and maintenance of the industrial port of Abu Tartour.
- A syndication of eight banks in extending a syndicated medium-term real estate facility agreement of EGP 3 billion to Rooya Group.The syndication comprises Arab African International Bank (AAIB), Arab Bank, Arab Investment Bank, EG Bank, HSBC, National Bank of Egypt (NBE), SAIB Bank, and Suez Canal Bank.
- Dubai Aerospace Enterprise (DAE) in relation to the finance arrangements of eight Boeing 737-800 aircraft to EgyptAir.
- Sonker Bunkering Company and Amiral Holdings in relation to a loan from IFC, EBRD and CIB for the expansion of Sonker’s Sokhna port bulk liquids terminal.
- Calyon and a bank syndicate on providing a USD 275 million Facility to the Egyptian General Petroleum Company.
- J.P. Morgan PLC and Morgan Stanley & Co International PLC and a bank syndicate in granting Petroleum Export Limited V a USD 1 billion Facility.
- Arab Bank, CIB, and NBAD, in their capacity as Mandated Lead Arrangers and Lenders in connection with facility to Al Futtaim’s Cairo Festival City project with a value of EGP 1.23 Billion (One billion and two hundred and thirty million Egyptian Pounds).
- Arab African International Bank S.A.E as lender in connection with the granting SODIC (a major Egyptian real estate development company) an EGP 1.3 Billion facility to finance its projects’ expansion.
Dispute Resolution / Successful Representation
- ArcelorMittal (as co-counsel) in successfully securing an amicable settlement with the Arab Republic of Egypt in a USD 600 Million ICSID claim;
- Union Fenosa Gas (as co-counsel) in successfully securing a favorable USD 2 Billion award an investor-state dispute with the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- Mitsubishi Motors Corporation in successfully defending against claims in Egyptian courts exceeding USD 1 Billion in complex cross-border litigation.
- Libyan Foreign Investment Company in nullification proceedings before Egyptian courts to set aside a high value arbitral award.
- Uber in handling all legal and regulatory aspects of Uber’s penetration of and operation in the Egyptian market;
- Skoda Auto (Volkswagen Group) in successfully defending client in USD 225 Million claim before Egyptian courts as well as parallel and related investigations involving the Egyptian Consumer Protection and Competition authorities.
- Etisalat Misr in securing a USD 125 Million award in favor of the client in a technically complex and highly contested interconnection dispute leading to favorable settlement.
- Emirates International Investment Company in successfully obtaining two separate high value ICC arbitral awards in corporate disputes.
- Orange Egypt in successfully clearing the previous company CEO from all criminal charges and criminal sentences relating to a highly publicized case involving Orange operations in Egypt and the region.