Omar S. Bassiouny is Partner of Matouk Bassiouny in both offices: Dubai and Cairo. He is consistently ranked in top tiers and bands by legal periodicals in the areas of corporate law and mergers and acquisitions for his considerable expertise in setting-up joint ventures and new projects in Egypt and Dubai, as well as ensuring compliance with local laws and corporate governance.
Omar is also recognized for his negotiations skills and business sense, which enabled Matouk Bassiouny’s reputation to float globally and maintained a substantial degree of efficiency and ethics.
Recent recognitions in international legal periodicals include:
An excellent lawyer who receives high praise for his commercial pragmatism
Chambers Global, 2018
Fellow practitioners are quick to highlight his extensive experience of major Egyptian M&A deals and note him as a counterparty they are pleased to see on the other side
Chambers Global, 2018
Has a wealth of experience in corporate restructuring and high-value M&A; complimented for his ‘leadership and ability to deliver’; and for being ‘an absolute standout performer’
Chambers Global, 2017
One of the country’s best M&A lawyers
Legal 500 EMEA, 2017
Quick, sharp and extremely commercially savvy. He has particular experience advising on joint ventures and projects
Chambers Global, 2016
Omar is a very strong lawyer and always available
IFLR 1000, 2015
Omar Bassiouny is a clear leader, who is extremely committed and supported by a great team
Legal 500 EMEA, 2015
Omar Bassiouny is a superstar when it comes to M&A. Peers say: He is very commercial, he understands matters quickly and is very responsive
Chambers Global, 2015
Omar focuses on all corporate matters including M&A, public takeovers, restructuring and cross-borders transactions. In addition to corporate, Omar has significant experience on all aspects of investing and doing business in Egypt.
- Ranked as a Leading Individual – Legal 500 EMEA, 2018
- Ranked as a Leading Individual – Chambers Global, 2018
- Ranked in Band 1 – Chambers Global, 2018
- Ranked as Leading Lawyer: Highly Regarded – IFLR 1000 for 2018
- Financial and Corporate Leading Lawyer for 2017 – IFLR 1000
- Ranked as a Notable Practitioner – Chambers Global, 2017
- Ranked as a Leading Individual – Legal 500 EMEA, 2016.
- Representation of Development Partners International “DPI”, a leading pan African private equity firm on it’s acquisition of ADP fund from GB Capital Holding for Financial Investments which constituted 25% from Mashroey and 25% from Tasaheel, forming Mashroey and Tasaheel company “MNT”. Instructions included an extensive due diligence and a full legal due diligence report as each company had more than 100 branches and the report had to be in line with the most updated regulatory framework in the Arab Republic of Egypt. Transaction Value: (Closed in August 2018).
- Representation of Tag El Melouk ( a market leader in the production of baking powder, Vanilla and salt, among other products) as local counsel in connection with selling 100% of its shares to Dr. Oetker. Instructions included conducting a vendor legal due diligence, deal structuring, preparation of transaction documents and managing the deal closing process. Transaction Value: USD 86 million (Closed in July 2018).
- Representation of EFG Hermes in its acquisition of a New Cairo-based elementary schools’ portfolio from Talaat Moustafa Group Holding (TMG Holding), Egypt’s largest listed real estate developer. Instructions included conducting a legal due diligence, deal structuring, preparation of transaction document and managing the deal closure process. Transaction value: EGP 1 billion (closed in May 2018).
- Representation of Arabian Holding Company on the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of the Arab Company for Services and Trading S.A.E, the affiliate of Qalaa Holdings managing the supermarket chain operating under the “Dina Farms” brand. The instructions included legal due diligence, preparing the transaction documents and negotiating the transaction terms with the sellers. Transaction value: Confidential (closed in May 2018).
- Representation of Mubadala Petroleum as local counsel in connection with the acquisition of 10 percent stake in the Shorouk concession in Egypt’s Zohr gas field. The instructions included providing legal advices conducting legal due diligence on the Egyptian entities and review the transaction documentation. Transaction value: USD 934 million (closed in March 2018).
- Representation of Hassan Allam Holding in their acquisition of 60% of the shares of Power Generation Engineering and Services Company S.A.E. being the largest consultancy firm in the region the field of power generation. The instructions included providing legal advices conducting legal due diligence and review the transaction documentation. The transaction value: EGP 420 million (closed in March 2018).
- Representation of Cairo 3A in connection with the public takeover of the National Company for Maize Products (NCMP). Transaction value EGP 1.47 Billion (closed December 2017).
- Advising SPE Capital on the exit of its investment in Orchidia Pharmaceutical Industries – a leading Egyptian ophthalmic generic medicine manufacturer and one of the fastest growing pharmaceutical companies in Egypt – through the sale of its entire stake to the American Enterprise Fund. Matter value: Confidential (closed in December 2017).
- Representation of Maersk Drilling in divestment of its stake in the Egyptian Drilling Company – with market share of 68% – to the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) in an all-cash transaction valued at USD 100 Million. (Closed December 2017).
- Representation of Amazon.com in connection with the acquisition of Souq.com. The instructions included providing legal advices with respect to the nature of the Egyptian subsidiaries of Souq, conducting legal due diligence on the Egyptian entities and review the transaction documentation. Transaction value: Confidential. (Closed March 2017).
- Representation of Neptune Energy Group as local counsel (transaction internationally led by Freshfields Bruckhaus Derigner) in the acquisition of Engie E&P. Significant business acquired by Neptune includes operations in the North Sea of Norway. Matter value: USD 3.9 billion (closed in October 2017).
- Representation of Canada-based Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Amoun Pharmaceutical S.A.E. The instructions included transaction structuring, legal due diligence and drafting the transaction documentation. Transaction value: USD 800 Million plus deferred payment.
- Representation of Abraaj Group in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake in Tiba Educational Group. The instructions included transaction structuring, legal due diligence and drafting the transaction documentation. Transaction value: USD 100 Million plus deferred payment.
- Representation of AXA Insurance in connection with the acquisition of Commercial International Life S.A.E. The instructions included transaction structuring, legal due diligence and drafting the transaction documentation. Transaction value: EGP 763 Million.
- Egypt, “The Legal 500: Mergers & Acquisitions Country Comparative Guide” with Mariam Auda, 2nd edition, 2018, Legal 500.
- Egypt, “The International Comparative Legal Guide to Mergers & Acquisitions 2016”, 10th Edition, Global Legal Group, 2016, pp. 161-165.
- Egypt, “Mergers & Acquisitions Report”, International Financial Law Review, 2016, pp.55-58.
- Egypt, “Equity Capital Markets Global Guide”, Thomson Reuters, 2016.
- Egypt, “Mergers & Acquisitions Report”, International Financial Law Review, 2015, pp.55-58.
- Egypt, “Equity Capital Markets Global Guide”, Thomson Reuters, 2015.
- Egypt Chapter, Mergers & Acquisitions, 7th Edition, the Law reviews, 2013.
- “Venture Capital Investment in Egypt – Legal and Regulatory Issues”, International Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2004/2005, Euromoney Publications 2004.
- “An Insight on Doing Business in Egypt”, BCA, November 2004 Issue.
- “Equity Transactions in Egypt – Legal Regulatory Issues Faced by Inward Investors”, International Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2003/2004, Euromoney Publications, 2003.
Cairo University: License en Droit
American University Cairo: Bachelors of Art in Public and International Law
- Egyptian Bar Association – Member
- American Chamber of Commerce – Member
- Egyptian Malaysian Business Council – Member
- Egyptian Private Equity Association – Member
- British Egyptian Business Association – Member
- Egyptian Junior Business Association – Member