May El Shaarawy is a Partner at Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy and is a member of the Corporate and M&A team. Prior to joining Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy, May has worked with reputable law firms in Cairo. She has extensive experience in advising on M&As, including asset and stock sales and mandatory tender offers. May also has experience working on PPP infrastructure projects, as well as in negotiating and drafting civil and commercial contracts, including commercial agencies and distributorships. She regularly advises on the establishment of corporate vehicles in Egypt, such as joint stock and limited liability companies, branches and representative offices.
May’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and mandatory tender offers, as well as general corporate matters such as establishing corporate vehicles, branches and representative offices.
- May El Shaarawy Ranked as Rising Star Lawyer – IFLR 1000, 2017-2021
- Representation of Abu Dhabi Developmental Holding Company PJSC in its acquisition of Amoun Pharmaceuticals Company, one of Egypt’s leading manufacturers, distributors and exporters of pharmaceutical and animal health products, from Bausch Health Companies. ADQ acquired the shares in a Mandatory Tender Offer (“MTO”) according to the Egyptian Capital Markets Law. Transaction value: approximately USD 650 million.
- Representation of Gulf Capital in sale of its diagnostics network, Metamed to Ray Lab. The buyer was a consortium of parties led by Mediterrania Capital Partners.
- Advised FAB in the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Bank Audi Egypt S.A.E. FAB is the UAE’s largest bank and one of the world’s largest and safest financial institutions. This acquisition positions FAB Egypt as one of the largest foreign banks in Egypt by assets with pro-forma total assets of more than EGP 130 billion (USD 8.5 Billion) as of 31st Dec 2020. Also, this is FAB’s first international acquisition in line with targeted growth strategy in high potential markets in MENA.
- Advised NESR, a national, industry-leading provider of integrated energy services in the MENA region and Asia Pacific, in its acquisition of Sahara Petroleum Company S.A.E. (“SAPESCO”), the largest indigenous oilfield services company in Egypt with operations across the region.
- Advised Nationbuilders in connection with an acquisition of the issued share capital of New City Housing & Development S.A.E., the first Egyptian company to focus on the development of high-quality affordable housing units within sustainable and fully integrated townships in Egypt.
- Negotiated and drafted civil and commercial contracts, including commercial agencies, and distributorships.
- Advised on mergers and acquisitions, including asset and stock sales and mandatory tender offers.
- Advised clients on Capital Market Law matters such as the establishment of funds in Egypt and the sale of listed shares within the Egyptian Stock Exchange.
- Provided advice to clients on various aspects of Egyptian law, including under the Civil Code, Companies Law, Capital Markets Law, Investment Law, Banking Law, Trade Law and Labour Law.
- Advised international companies on a wide range of corporate matters including company formation as well as company secretarial and regulatory compliance.
LL.M., Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA; Focus: Corporate and Capital Markets Law
LL.M., Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Cairo, Egypt; Focus: International and Comparative Law
Diploma, Cairo University Faculty of Law, Cairo, Egypt; Focus: Criminal Law; Honours: Ranked 4 in a class of 223 students
LL.B., Cairo University Faculty of Law (English Section), honours, Cairo, Egypt; Honours: Ranked 2 in a class of 96 students; Received 20 awards for academic excellence
- Egyptian Bar Association – Member