May El Shaarawy is a Partner with Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy’s Corporate and Merger & Acquisition team. May joined MBH in November 2018 after finishing her LL.M. at Harvard Law School. Her legal practice started in 2007 when she graduated top of her class at Cairo University, Faculty of Law. She worked at reputable law firms in Egypt during her career and has worked on some of the most notable transactions in the areas of her expertise. May has extensive experience in advising on mergers & acquisitions, financial markets regulations and Public Private Partnerships.
May’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, mandatory tender offers as well as general corporate matters.
- Ranked as a Rising Star by IFLR 2017-2020
- FAB/ Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer – Advising FAB in the potential acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Bank Audi Egypt S.A.E.
- Gulf Capital – part of the team that advised Gulf Capital on all Egyptian law matters relating to the transaction including the restructuring of the Egyptian subsidiaries and transferring ownership and management of the Egyptian subsidiaries to Mediterannea Capital Partners.
- National Energy Services Reunited Corp (“NESR”) – advised NESR, a national, industry-leading provider of integrated energy services in the MENA region and Asia Pacific, in its acquisition of Sahara Petroleum Company S.A.E. (“SAPESCO”), the largest indigenous oilfield services company in Egypt with operations across the region.
- Nationbuilders Capital – Acquisition by Nationbuilders of the issued share capital of New City Housing & Development S.A.E., the first Egyptian company to focus on the development of high-quality affordable housing units within sustainable and fully integrated townships in Egypt.
LL.M., Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA; Focus: Corporate and Capital Markets Law
LL.M., Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Cairo, Egypt; Focus: International and Comparative Law
Diploma, Cairo University Faculty of Law, Cairo, Egypt; Focus: Criminal Law; Honours: Ranked 4 in a class of 223 students
LL.B., Cairo University Faculty of Law (English Section), honours, Cairo, Egypt; Honours: Ranked 2 in a class of 96 students; Received 20 awards for academic excellence