Mariam is a Partner at Matouk Bassiouny with a considerable experience in the areas of corporate law and mergers and acquisitions. She has also expertise in setting-up joint ventures and new projects in Egypt, as well as ensuring compliance with local laws and corporate governance and covering all aspects of investing and doing business in Egypt.
As a member of the Corporate and M&A team, Mariam focuses on advising private sector companies on mergers and acquisitions (buy-side and sell-side), due diligence, companies’ formation and administration, corporate governance and corporate secretarial work; drafting, reviewing, negotiating and advising on commercial contracts and transaction-related documents including, share purchase agreements, shareholders’ agreements, escrow agreements, management agreements and disclosure documents.
Over her career with Matouk Bassiouny, Mariam has provided legal advice to multinational and national clients across a range of industries, including, Orbit Showtime Group (OSN), AXA Insurance Group, Hilton Worldwide, Arqaam Capital Group, Danone, Invest AD (Mobiserve Group), Convergys Corporation and Shapoorji Pallonji Group in respect of general corporate, regulatory, compliance, commercial and corporate governance matters.
- Representation of Match Group with co-counsel Latham & Watkins LLP in the acquisition of a majority stake of Harmonica for IT S.A.E., an Egyptian online dating startup.
- Representation of Tag El Melouk LLC, a market leader in the production of baking powder, vanilla and salt in connection with selling of its capital to Dr. Oetker.
- Representation of SPE Capital with the sale of its stake in Orchidia Pharmaceuticals Industries- leading Egyptian ophthalmic generic medicine manufacture.
- Representation of NBK Capital Partners in connection with the acquisition of Kaumeya Language School a leading K-12 school in Egypt.
- Representation of IMS Health in connection with the Egyptian related restructuring of the Group following the merger with Cegedim.
- Representation of Danone in connection with the Egyptian related restructuring of the Group.
- Representation of Valeant along with co-counsel Skadden, in connection with the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of Amoun Pharmaceutical.
- Representation of Abraaj Capital (Private Equity Fund) along with co-counsel Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, in connection with the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of Cleopatra Hospital, Egypt.
- Representation of Nutreco International B.V in connection with the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of Hendrix Misr for Animal Nutrition Company S.A.E.
- Representation of Orascom Telecom in connection with the acquisition of LinkDotNet.
Erasmus University Rotterdam, School of Law: LL.M, Commercial Law 2011
American University in Cairo, Egypt: Bachelor of Arts in Economics
Cairo University, Faculty of Law: LL.B.
- Egyptian Bar Association – Member