Mahmoud Salah Bassiouny is the Regional Managing Partner of Matouk Bassiouny and heads the Finance & Projects practice group. His 16 years of experience in trade and project finance and in the Energy and Infrastructure sectors has earned him the trust of international commercial banks, export credit agencies and major players in the energy industry. He has excellent working relationships with conventional and Islamic financiers working in Egypt.
Recent recognitions in the international periodicals include:
“Mahmoud is the leading lawyer for any projects in their team. We support his high ranking.”
Chambers Global, 2022
“Whenever I have a banking transaction in Egypt, I turn to Mahmoud.”
Chambers Global, 2022
“He is a strong negotiator with powerful deal-closure capabilities.”
Chambers Global, 2021
“Mahmoud Bassiouny is a pleasure to deal with and encapsulates the firm’s responsiveness and commerciality.”
Legal 500, 2020
“A supportive, strong negotiator and problem solver who can overcome any obstacles that may arise during the transaction.”
Chambers Global, 2020
“The “very commercially minded” Mahmoud Bassiouny is an acclaimed lawyer in this field. His practice encompasses a wide range of project finance, including for energy and oil and gas projects, and he is experienced advising on both conventional and Islamic finance. He also has experience in debt restructuring’”
Chambers Global, 2019
“’Has wide experience’ and is a ‘very commendable lawyer’”
Chambers Global, 2018
“Highly regarded for banking matters”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2018
“A lawyer who is sharp, switched-on, and doesn’t spare any effort to get the work done and make sure the client is satisfied.”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
Mahmoud Bassiouny is “high-level expert in this [banking & finance]”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2016
One client in the banking sector who worked with the project finance team describes them as “good, polite and responsive.”
IFLR 1000, 2016
Mahmoud as “one of the best and most reliable lawyers in Egypt” and has “good knowledge of the oil and gas sector.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2013
Mahmoud advises major oil and gas, and energy players, public and private parties, lenders and consultancy firms on various issues related to their business. He has also extensive experience in matters of security creation and perfection. His sector expertise includes energy, aviation, real estate development, heavy industries and power & infrastructure.
- Mahmoud Bassiouny ranked as Band 1 – Chambers & Partners
- Mahmoud Bassiouny ranked as a Highly Regarded – IFLR 1000
- Mahmoud Bassiouny ranked as a Leading Individual – Legal 500
- Representation of Export Import Bank of the United States on the financing of EgyptAir’s acquisition of 5 Boeing 737-800 aircraft through a finance leasing structure.
- Representation of a syndicate of banks and financial institutions in connection with two financings in the defense sector backed by SACE SpA (transaction value: confidential)
- Representation of inter alia, HSBC Bank Middle East Limited as Structuring Bank, Commerzbank AG and AKA Ausfuhrkredit-Gesellschaft mbH as Arrangers and AKA Ausfuhrkredit-Gesellschaft mbH as CIRR Agent and Facility Agent in connection with a EUR 250,000,000 facility extended to the Central Bank of Egypt covered by an export credit guarantee issued by the Federal Republic of Germany represented by Hermes.
- Representation of the Export-Import Bank of China, Bank of China Ltd. Beijing branch and China Development Bank in relation to a USD 690,018,501 financing extended to the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company.
- Representation of Infinity 50 for Renewable Energy S.A.E. in connection with a USD 95 million and EGP equivalent of USD 35.18 million financing of a 50MW solar power plant extended by Bayerische Landesbank and Arab African International Bank, backed by Euler Hermes and PwC Deutsche Revision.
- Advising the Egyptian Ministry of Investment and the Egyptian Ministry of Planning on the creation of the Egyptian Sovereign Wealth Fund and assisting the relevant judiciary departments in the drafting of the Egyptian Sovereign Wealth Fund Law.
- Advising the Egyptian Ministry of Trade and Industry on the drafting of the Franchise Law.
- Advising the Egyptian Ministry of Environment on the creation of a supra entity for solid waste management.
- Advising the Egyptian Ministry of Electricity and Renewable Energy’s Nuclear Power Plants Authority (NPPA) in relation to the construction of Al Dabaa nuclear power plant.
- Representation of Lekela Egypt Wind Power BOO S.A.E in connection with a 250MW wind farm project under a Build, Own, Operate (BOO) scheme located in Ras Ghareb
- Representation of Aqualia Infrastructuras, as a consortium member of the winning consortium Orasqualia for the New Cairo Wastewater project, the first PPP to reach financial close in Egypt.
- Representation of Access Building Energy Solar One S.A.E. – part of the fast-growing developer and operator of power assets, Access Power – in connection with the financing of up to circa USD 55 million to finance the design, development, financing, construction, testing, commissioning, operation and maintenance of a 50MW solar photovoltaic power plant under the Feed-in Tariff programme.
- Representation of Shapoorji Pallonji Energy Egypt S.A.E. – subsidiary of the Indian engineering and infrastructure company SP Group – in connection with the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of a turnkey solar PV project with a nominal capacity of 50 MW, located in Benban, Egypt.
- Representing Credit Suisse AG, London Branch and HSBC Bank Middle East Limited in connection with the facility of an amount up to USD 616,800,000 and EUR 240,000,000 extended to the Egyptian Electricity Holding Company.
- Representation of Booz & Co, in their capacity as advisors to the Egyptian Government with legal advice relating to all laws, regulations and decrees regulating Nile transportation in Cairo. Advising on the creation of a company operating Nile transportation based on a public private partnership model.
- Representation of International Finance Corporation (the lenders) on the major BOOT financing of EDF’s Port Said and Suez Gulf Projects.
- Representation of J.P. Morgan PLC and Morgan Stanley & Co International PLC and a bank syndicate in granting Petroleum Export Limited V a USD 1 Billion Facility.
- Representation of Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank – Egypt, Banque Audi, Banque Misr, as Senior Mandated Lead Arrangers, and the Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector (ICD), together with Clifford Chance, as Mezzanine Mandated Lead Arranger in connection with granting a EGPC 2.5 billion Senior and Mezzanine Istisn’a Ijara/Istisn’a Facilities to Al Sharkeya Sugar Manufacturing Company SAE.
- Getting the Deal Through: Islamic Finance & Markets 2014.
- Bloomberg BNA VAT Navigator 2015.
- Getting the Deal Through: Loans & Secured Financing 2016.
- Organizer and Speaker at: AIPN Europe-Africa and Middle East Chapters host
- “Egyptian Concessions – Overview of Major Legal Issues”- 2016.
- Organizer and Speaker at: Norton Rose Fulbright Energy Academy 2015.
- Organizer and Speaker at the Egyptian Banking Institute (together with Clifford Chance) on “Islamic Finance and Infrastructure Finance”- 2012.
University of Paris I – Panthéon-Sorbonne/ Institut du Droit des Affaires Internationales: Maitrise in Corporate Law
University of Paris I – Panthéon-Sorbonne/ Institut du Droit des Affaires Internationales: Licence in Corporate Law
University of Paris I – Panthéon-Sorbonne/ Institut du Droit des Affaires Internationales: DEUG Law
- Egyptian Bar Association – Member
- Egyptian Business Lawyers Association – Member
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators – Member
- American Chamber of Commerce – Member
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce – Member