Mahmoud Salah Bassiouny is a Partner at Matouk Bassiouny and heads the Finance & Projects group. His experience in trade and project finance and in the oil and gas industry has earned him the trust of large commercial banks, export credit agencies and major players in the energy industry such as HSBC, US EXIM and Union Fenosa Gas. He has excellent working relationships with conventional and Islamic financiers working in Egypt and Sudan.
Recent recognitions in the international periodicals include:
“’Has wide experience’ and is a ‘very commendable lawyer’”
Chambers Global, 2018
“Highly regarded for banking matters”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2018
“A lawyer who is sharp, switched-on, and doesn’t spare any effort to get the work done and make sure the client is satisfied.”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
Mahmoud Bassiouny is “high-level expert in this [banking & finance]”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2016
One client in the banking sector who worked with the project finance team describes them as “good, polite and responsive.”
IFLR 1000, 2016
Mahmoud as “one of the best and most reliable lawyers in Egypt” and has “good knowledge of the oil and gas sector.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2013
Mahmoud advises major oil and gas players, public and private parties, lenders and consultancy firms on various issues related to their business. He has also extensive experience in matters of security creation and perfection. His sector expertise includes aviation, real estate development, heavy industries and power & infrastructure.
- Mahmoud Bassiouny ranked as a Leading Lawyer – IFLR 1000, 2017
- Mahmoud Bassiouny ranked as a Leading Lawyer – Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Representation of Access Building Energy Solar One S.A.E. – part of the fast-growing developer and operator of power assets, Access Power – in connection with the financing of up to circa USD 55 million to finance the design, development, financing, construction, testing, commissioning, operation and maintenance of a 50MW solar photovoltaic power plant under the Feed-in Tariff programme.
- Representation of Shapoorji Pallonji Energy Egypt S.A.E. – subsidiary of the Indian engineering and infrastructure company SP Group – in connection with the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of a turnkey solar PV project with a nominal capacity of 50 MW, located in Benban, Egypt.
- Representation of a syndication of eight banks in extending a syndicated medium-term real estate facility agreement of EGP 3 billion to Rooya Group, one of Egypt’s fastest-growing real estate development companies. The syndication comprises Arab African International Bank (AAIB), Arab Bank, Arab Investment Bank, EG Bank, HSBC, National Bank of Egypt (NBE), SAIB Bank, and Suez Canal Bank.
- Representation of Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank – Egypt, Banque Audi, Banque Misr, as Senior Mandated Lead Arrangers, and the Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector (ICD), together with Clifford Chance, as Mezzanine Mandated Lead Arranger in connection with granting a EGPC 2.5 billion Senior and Mezzanine Istisn’a Ijara/Istisn’a Facilities to Al Sharkeya Sugar Manufacturing Company SAE.
- Representation of International Finance Corporation (the lenders) on the major BOOT financing of EDF’s Port Said and Suez Gulf Projects.
- Representation of Calyon and a bank syndicate on providing a USD 275 million Facility to the Egyptian General Petroleum Company.
- Representation of J.P. Morgan PLC and Morgan Stanley & Co International PLC and a bank syndicate in granting Petroleum Export Limited V a USD 1 Billion Facility.
- Getting the Deal Through: Islamic Finance & Markets 2014.
- Bloomberg BNA VAT Navigator 2015.
- Getting the Deal Through: Loans & Secured Financing 2016.
- Organizer and Speaker at: AIPN Europe-Africa and Middle East Chapters host
- “Egyptian Concessions – Overview of Major Legal Issues” – 2016.
- Organizer and Speaker at: Norton Rose Fullbright Energy Academy 2015.
- Organizer and Speaker at: The Egyptian Banking Institute (together with Clifford Chance) on “Islamic Finance and Infrastructure Finance”- 2012.
University of Paris I – Panthéon-Sorbonne/ Institut du Droit des Affaires Internationales: Maitrise in Corporate Law
- Egyptian Bar Association – Member
- Egyptian Business Lawyers Association – Member
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators – Member
- American Chamber of Commerce – Member
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce – Member