Ahmed is a Partner in the Arbitration Department within the Dispute Resolution Practice Group at Matouk Bassiouny. He is a full-time arbitration practitioner with over a decade of professional experience handling complex, cross-borders, and high-stakes commercial and investment arbitrations. Before joining Matouk Bassiouny in 2013, Ahmed practiced international arbitration at Shalakany Law Office in Egypt.
Ahmed has experience in handling ICSID, ICC, CRCICA, UNCITRAL, and Egyptian Ad Hoc arbitrations dealing with major investments, telecommunications, construction, management agreements, commercial lease agreements, share purchase agreements, cinema concession agreements, cement plants, maritime and oil & gas disputes in different jurisdictions, including Egypt, Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Sudan. Ahmed also advises clients on the enforcement and nullification procedures of domestic and foreign arbitral awards. Ahmed is also a registered arbitrator at the Egyptian Center for Arbitration and Settlement of Non-Banking Financial Disputes at the Financial Regulatory Authority.
Ahmed has a lectureship at the Faculty of Law, Cairo University, and teaches Corporate Law and Economics in the MLEA Program at the Faculty of Law, University of Hamburg, Germany. Ahmed obtained his LLB from the Cairo University, Faculty of Law, English Section with high honors (top 1%) and an LLM on investments and commercial transactions and disputes from the Cairo University.
Ahmed’s practice focuses on international investment and commercial arbitration proceedings, centring on construction, energy, insurance, hospitality, and financial disputes. Ahmed also advises clients on the amicable settlement options that suit the nature of the dispute and assists clients in settlement negotiations and agreements.
- Representation of a major BVI company specialized in the Oil and Gas sector in a multi-million dollar dispute against a major Egyptian state entity in proceedings registered with the ICC. This dispute has arisen from two Concession Agreements with total claims exceeding USD 120 million.
- Representation of a Joint Venture Company consists of Malaysian and Italian Companies in a multi-million dollar dispute against a major petroleum operating company in UNCITRAL proceedings. This dispute has arisen from a contract awarded to the Joint Venture Company for engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning of 6 pump stations along export pipelines in the Republic of Sudan.
- Advised and Assisted Union Fenosa Gas on Egyptian law issues concerning a multi-billion dollar claim against an Egyptian state entity in arbitral proceedings registered with CRCICA and another proceeding registered with ICSID against the Egyptian Government. The total value of the claims was over USD 2 billion.
- Representation of a large telecommunication operator in Egypt in a complex interconnection dispute involving another major telecommunication operator registered with CRCICA with a total value exceeding USD 50 million.
- Representation of a major cement plant operator in a technically sophisticated dispute against a large cement plant owner that is publicly listed in Egypt. This dispute was related to an agreement for Technical Management, Operation and Maintenance Integrated Services of a cement plant. The dispute was registered with CRCICA and valued at around USD 52 million.
- Representation of a major Chinese company in a construction dispute of a cement plant against a large cement plant company that is publicly listed in Egypt. This dispute was registered with CRCICA and valued at over USD 7 million.
- Representation of a major UK oil and gas engineering company in a construction dispute before CRCICA with a value of over USD 10 million.
- Representation of a major European hotel chain in a CRCICA dispute against a large Egyptian hotel owner concerning a Hotel Management Agreement. This dispute was registered at CRCICA with over USD 2.5 million claims.
- Representation of an international leading steel and mining company in the prosecution and subsequent amicable settlement of a USD 600 million investment dispute in proceedings registered with ICSID against the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- Representation of a blue-chip UAE corporate client in a series of disputes before CRCICA and ICC with a total value of over USD 75 million.
- Representation of a large hotel owner in a multi-million dollar dispute against an international hotel operator concerning a Hotel Management Agreement in proceedings registered with CRCICA.
- Representation of a board executive in an arbitral proceeding before CRCICA against a major real estate company.
- Representation of a major real estate developer in Egypt in a multi-million dollar dispute concerning a Construction Agreement for building its new compound in New Cairo.
- Representation of a USA touristic development company in ICSID proceedings filed against the Arab Republic of Egypt regarding a resort renovation and management.
- Representation of a major glass-manufacturing client in CRCICA arbitration proceedings and subsequent formal mediation process leading to the amicable settlement of a high-value CRCICA arbitration.
- Representation of a UAE oil and gas company in ICSID proceedings filed against the Arab Republic of Egypt regarding a gas pipelines construction and operation agreement.
- Representation of an Egyptian pharmaceutical company in its dispute with a major construction company concerning the construction of the second phase of its factory.
- Representation of a major landlord in a multi-million dollar dispute concerning a lease agreement for commercial premises in proceedings registered with CRCICA.
- Representation of a leading Egyptian company in a multi-million dollar dispute against a global international company in proceedings registered with CRCICA.
Present The University of Hamburg (Germany), Faculty of Law: Visiting Scholar
Cairo University, Faculty of Law: LLM in International Commercial and Investment Transactions and Disputes
Cairo University, Faculty of Law, English Section: LLB with High Honors, top 1%
- Co-Authoring the Chamber’s Enforcement of Judgement Editions of 2019, 2020, and 2021 Guide on Egypt.
- Contributed to the Egyptian Chapter in Arbitration in Africa – A Review of Key Jurisdictions published by Sweet and Maxwell on February 19, 2016.
- Co-Authoring the “Some Road Signs for Arbitration Practitioners in the MENA Region: Conflicts between Local Laws and Institutional Rules in the Region”, Dispute Resolution International, Vol. 8, Issue 2 (October 2010), pp 179-186.
- The ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- Society of Construction Law (SCL)