Omar S. Bassiouny
Omar S. Bassiouny
Founding Partner, Group Head of Corporate and M&A
Omar S. Bassiouny is a Founding Partner of Matouk Bassiouny and heads the Corporate and M&A practice group which remains the powerhouse of the Firm. He is consistently ranked in the top tiers and bands by legal periodicals in the areas of corporate law and mergers and acquisitions for his considerable expertise and experience in public and private M&A and capital market transactions.
Referring to Omar, recent periodicals have stated:
Omar Bassiouny is excellent: he is very responsive, meticulous, and never leaves a question unanswered.
Chamber Global, 2022
He has an in-depth legal knowledge and good articulation skills. He gives a number of practical solutions borne out of understanding of the business.
IFLR 1000, 2020
Fellow practitioners are quick to highlight his extensive experience of major Egyptian M&A deals and note him as a counterparty they are pleased to see on the other side.
Chambers Global, 2018
Has a wealth of experience in corporate restructuring and high-value M&A; complimented for his ‘leadership and ability to deliver’; and for being ‘an absolute standout performer'
Chamber Global, 2017
One of the country’s best M&A lawyers.
Legal 500 EMEA, 2017
Quick, sharp and extremely commercially savvy. He has particular experience advising on joint ventures and projects.
Chambers Global, 2016
Omar is a very strong lawyer and always available.
IFLR 1000, 2015
Omar Bassiouny is a clear leader, who is extremely committed and supported by a great team.
Legal 500 EMEA, 2015
Omar Bassiouny is a superstar when it comes to M&A. Peers say: He is very commercial; he understands matters quickly and is very responsive.
Chambers Global, 2015
- Advising Mubadala Petroleum as local counsel on the acquisition of a 10% stake in the Shorouk concession in Egypt’s Zohr gas field. Transaction value: USD 934 million.
- Advising Hassan Allam Holding on their acquisition of 60% of the shares of Power Generation Engineering and Services Company S.A.E. Being the largest consultancy firm in the region in the field of power generation. Transaction value: EGP 420 million.
- Advising Cairo 3A on the public takeover of the National Company for Maize Products (NCMP). Transaction value EGP 1.47 billion.
- Advising SPE Capital on the exit of its investment in Orchidia Pharmaceutical Industries - a leading Egyptian ophthalmic generic medicine manufacturer and one of the fastest-growing pharmaceutical companies in Egypt - through the sale of its entire stake to the American Enterprise Fund. Transaction value: confidential.
- Advising Maersk Drilling on the divestment of its stake in the Egyptian Drilling Company with market share of 68% to the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) in an all-cash transaction. Transaction value: USD 100 million.
- Advising Neptune Energy Group as local counsel on the acquisition of Engie E&P. Significant business acquired by Neptune includes operations in the North Sea of Norway. Transaction value: USD 3.9 billion.
- Advising Amazon.com on the acquisition of Souq.com. Transaction value: confidential. (Closed March 2017).
- Advising Canada-based Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. on the acquisition of Amoun Pharmaceutical S.A.E. Transaction value: USD 800 million plus deferred payment.
- Advising Abraaj Group on the acquisition of a majority stake in Tiba Educational Group. Transaction value: USD 100 million plus deferred payment.
- Advising AXA Insurance on the acquisition of Commercial International Life S.A.E. Transaction value: EGP 763 million.
- Advising Akanars Partners on its merger into Arqaam Capital’s regional platform. Transaction value: confidential.
- Advising Danone on the acquisition of Halayeb S.A.E. Transaction value: confidential.