Partner and Head of Libya Desk
Islam Saeed is a partner at Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy in Cairo and heads the firm’s Libya practice. He also heads the firm’s education sector. He also heads the education sector He’s experienced in the areas of corporate law, M&As, and tax law. He practices law in Egypt and Libya, giving him a broad perspective of law and its application to pursue his clients’ best interests and wellbeing. He’s covered legal work related to some of the GCC countries and Iraq. He has worked diligently with MBH’s clients to ensure that all their legal proceedings and requirements are well up to date and fully in line with Egyptian legislation.
- Representation of a new k-12 investment platform (Lighthouse) promoted to undertake investment activities in private schools in Egypt in connection with an allocated targeted investment of EGP 1.75 billion (Lighthouse Platform). Among the founding shareholders, Misr Insurance Holding Company and its subsidiaries (Misr Life Insurance Company and Misr Insurance Company), Sovereign Fund of Egypt, Banque Misr, Al Rajhi Investments, United Bank, Mr. Hossam Kabbani, and Ironwood Investments. Transaction value: confidential.
- Representation of Egypt Education Platform – one of the fastest-growing and leading education platforms in Egypt – in connection with its subscription in AIA for Education Services S.A.E (AIA), adding the operation of Alexandria International Academy School as part of Egypt Education Platform, and marking the entry of Egypt Education Platform into Alexandria Governorate. Transaction value: confidential.
- Representation of ABB in connection with the divestment and restructuring of the power grids business units and company from ABB Group to Hitachi – ABB Power Grids new group in Egypt. Transaction value: confidential.
- Representation of Amiral Group Sonker Bunkering Company in connection with:
- A settlement of over USD 50 million with the Egyptian government in relation to the BOT Concession Agreement entered into between the General Authority for Suez Canal Economic Zone Red Sea Ports, as the concession grantor, and Dubai World Ports – Al Sokhna – as the concessionaire, for the building, management, operation and transfer of the bulk liquids terminal located at Ain Al Sokhna.
- Its capacity as sub-contractor in connection with the BOT Concession Agreement entered into between the General Authority for Red Sea Ports, as the concession grantor, and Dubai World Ports – Al Sokhna, as the concessionaire, for the building, management, operation and transfer of the bulk liquids terminal located at Ain Al Sokhna.
- Representation of Amiral Group and Misr Technology Services Company (MTS), in connection with restructuring the concession agreement with the Egyptian Customs Authority and the Ministry of Finance for the establishment and operation of “single window” system for Egyptian customs.
- Representation of National Marine Dredging Company – the leasing company providing dredging, reclamation, and Marine construction projects in the Middle East – in connection with the formation of its EGP 200 million issued capital joint venture company with Canal Harbour & Great Projects Company, which is affiliated with the Suez Canal Authority. The joint venture company, called EEMDC, has been established in the promising Suez Canal Economic Zone under the system of the Economic Zones Law. Further advised on and co-prepared EEMDC contracts portfolio, which exceeded the total value of EGP 4.7 billion.
- Advised VEON Ltd. and its sub-subsidiary Global Telecom Holding S.A.E. (GTH) on the agreement with the Egyptian Tax Authority to settle all outstanding tax liabilities of GTH and its Egyptian subsidiaries for a total amount of USD 136 million.
- Representation of A.P. Møller - Mærsk A/S and Mærsk Drilling Services A/S in connection with their divestment from Egyptian Drilling Company (50% - 50% joint venture with EGPC) – the leading drilling contractor in Egypt and one of the leaders in the MENA region – The instructions included providing local legal advice, structuring, leading the negotiations with the EGPC, co-preparing the transaction documentation. Transaction value USD 100 million.
- Representation of NBK Capital Partners in connection with the acquisition of 100% of King Integrated American School (KIAS) – located in the fast-growing King Mariout area within Alexandria, Egypt – the instructions included providing legal advice, structuring, conducting legal due diligence and preparing the transaction documentation. Transaction value: confidential.
- Representation of EFG Hermes and GEMS Education group in connection with the acquisition of a New Cairo-based k-12 four schools from Talaat Moustafa Group Holding (TMG Holding) – Egypt’s largest listed real estate developer. Transaction value: EGP 1 billion.