Partner, Head of Tax Litigation
Ali Abdullah is a Partner at Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy and a member of the Dispute Resolution practice group. He also heads the firm’s tax litigation practice. He has been practicing law for over 20 years, dealing with disputes and arbitration matters for both local and international clients before the highest courts of Egypt; the Court of Cassation, the Supreme Constitutional Court, and the administrative Court. He represented several corporate clients before the administrative courts and in governmental relations on various disputes.
- Representation of the largest container shipping line and vessel operator in the world in connection with a major tax dispute with an amount exceeding EGP 1 billion before the tax authority.
- Representation of a construction company in connection with a tax dispute with an amount of EGP 8 billion before the administrative court, tax committees, and court-appointed experts.
- Representation of a telecommunication company in connection with a dispute for an amount exceeding USD 125 million before the Economic Court and obtained a favorable judgment.
- Representation of a mobile operator company in connection with a major dispute exceeding EGP 380 million.
- Representation of an American pharmaceutical company in connection with a tax dispute for an amount exceeding EGP 2 million and obtaining a judgment in our favor.
- Representation of an Egyptian pharmaceutical company with a capital of 1.4 billion Egyptian pounds in connection with a dispute against its shareholders with an amount exceeding EGP 3 million.
- Representation of an Italian retailer company in connection with a tax dispute with an amount of EGP 2 million and representing the company before the Administrative Court and the Tax Investigation Committee.
- Representation of an American global food corporation in connection with a tax dispute for an amount exceeding EGP 4 million and successfully obtaining a judgment in favor of the client.
- Successful representation of an Emirati multinational company in agribusiness in connection with securing an amicable settlement covering a three-year dispute exceeding USD 500 thousand.
- Key clients include Etisalat Misr, Novartis, Eli Lilly, Avon, Amoun, Concrete, Nexans, Egyptian Indian Polyester, Hilton, Misr Sons for Development (Hassan Allam Construction), Pfizer, Cargill, Soyven Company Uber, Emirates International Investment Company, and National Steel Fabrication Co.