Partner, Head of Litigation, UAE Offices
Ahmed is a Partner at Matouk Bassiouny UAE offices and heads the litigation practice. He has over 13 years of post-qualified experience working on a wide range of contentious matters in Egypt, Libya, and now the UAE. He has developed a considerable track record of trying and winning cross-border disputes in different jurisdictions throughout the MENA region. He has served as counsel in arbitrations concluded under ICSID, ICC, UNCTRAL, DIFC-LCIA, DIAC, and CRCICA. Prior to joining MB UAE, he worked as the head of the disputes department at Nakheel PJSC and Meydan Group in Dubai and with the DIFC offices of another prominent law firm. Earlier on he worked with a well-reputed non-affiliated law firm in Cairo. Ahmed is also a crypto enthusiast and has a deep knowledge of blockchain technology.
- Representation of Al Ramz Corporation PJSC in a commercial litigation portfolio.
- Representation of one of the Big Four in a multi-billion claim before the Abu Dhabi courts.
- Representation of Abraaj Investment Management Limited as local counsel in connection with claims against its auditors in the UAE. The claims involve proceedings before the DIFC Courts, Dubai onshore courts and the JJC.
- Representation of Samsung Gulf Electronic in connection with two DIFC-LCIA arbitrations against its distributor in UAE and Pakistan. The amount in dispute was circa USD 40 million.
- Advised Al Rostamani Group (Dubai) on the standard construction agreement with DEWA.
- Representation of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars ME (Dubai) in connection with fraud claims before the Dubai courts.
- Representation of Standard Chartered Bank in connection with an AED 480 million claim and enforcement proceedings against a real estate developer in Dubai, Sharjah and Ajman courts.
- Representation of Delta Emirates LLC in connection with an AED 160 million claim against its local partner in relation to the development and management of a five-star hotel in Dubai.
- Representation of Global Telecom Holding S.A.E. (formerly Orascom Telecom Holding) in connection with tax litigation portfolio against the Egyptian Tax Authority. The underlying claims covered disputed years 2000 through 2018. The amount in dispute exceeded USD 430 million.
- Representation of Misr Insurance Company in connection with a USD 184 million insurance claim against the National Bank of Egypt and EMG in relation to the coverage of three insurance policies for the cross-border gas pipelines extended between Egypt and Israel.
- Provided expert opinion to the French Courts on the assessment of damages from a UAE law perspective.
- Advised Guidance Financial Group on an investor-state dispute for treaty violation claims under the Egypt˗Bahrain BIT.
- Advised Majid Al Futtaim Properties on potential construction disputes pertaining to the construction works of Mall of Egypt.
- Representation of a Dubai-based environmental services company in connection with an AED 42 million commercial dispute before the Dubai Courts.
- Representation of Millennium & Copthorne in connection with nullity actions of CRCICA arbitral award and enforcement of an arbitral award.
- Representation of a state-owned electricity producer in connection with a USD 35 million UNCITRAL arbitration in relation to the rehabilitation project of Shoubra Al-Khaimah power plant.
- Representation of an Emirati real estate developer in connection with a construction ad-hoc arbitration concerning two concrete batch plants in two housing mega-projects in Cairo.
- Advised beIN Sports on two anti-trust claims for alleged anti-competitive and abuse of dominance practices related to the broadcasting of the Euro 2016 competition.
- Representation of an Emirati oilfield services company in connection with a CRCICA arbitration against an Egyptian petroleum marine services provider in a maritime dispute exceeding USD 4 million.
- Representation of a Jordanian hospitality group as lead counsel in connection with a CRCICA arbitration involving a USD 14 million contractual claim emanating from a shares purchase agreement.
- Representation of an Emirati real estate developer in connection with a CRCICA arbitration against a state-owned enterprise in a USD 195 million dispute on the land of a housing mega-project in Cairo.
- Advised the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA) on the validity of reinstating Abdulmajid Breish as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of LIA in the execution of the decision of the Court of Appeal in Libya on 13 April 2015.