Ahmed Abdelhakeem is a Partner in the Arbitration Department within the Dispute Resolution practice group at Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy. He is a full-time arbitration practitioner with over a decade of professional experience handling complex, cross-borders, and high-stakes commercial and investment arbitrations. Before joining the firm in 2013, Ahmed practiced international arbitration at Shalakany Law Office in Egypt. Ahmed is a partner at Matouk Bassiouny and Hennawy and a member of the dispute resolution practice group. With over a decade of professional experience handling cross-border, commercial, and investment arbitrations or handling issues related to ICSID, ICC, CRCICA, UNCITRAL, and Egyptian ad hoc arbitrations. His representations and disputes include jurisdictions within Egypt, Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Sudan. He also advises clients on the enforcement and nullification procedures of domestic and foreign arbitral awards. A registered arbitrator at the Egyptian Center for Arbitration and Settlement of Non-Banking Financial Disputes at the Financial Regulatory Authority. Ahmed has a lectureship at the Faculty of Law, Cairo University, and teaches Corporate Law and Economics in the MLEA Program at the Faculty of Law, University of Hamburg, Germany.
- Representation of a major BVI company specialized in the Oil and Gas sector in connection with a multi-million-dollar dispute against a major Egyptian state entity in proceedings registered with the ICC. This dispute has arisen from two concession agreements with total claims exceeding USD 120 million.
- Representation of a Joint Venture Company consisting of Malaysian and Italian Companies in connection with a multi-million-dollar dispute against a major petroleum operating company in UNCITRAL proceedings. This dispute has arisen from a contract awarded to the Joint Venture Company for engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning of 6 pump stations along export pipelines in the Republic of Sudan.
- Advised and Assisted Union Fenosa Gas on Egyptian law issues concerning a multi-billion dollar claim against an Egyptian state entity in arbitral proceedings registered with CRCICA and another proceeding registered with ICSID against the Egyptian Government. The total value of the claims was over USD 2 billion.
- Representation of a telecommunication operator in Egypt in connection with a complex interconnection dispute involving another major telecommunication operator registered with CRCICA with a total value exceeding USD 50 million.
- Representation of a cement plant operator in connection with a technically sophisticated dispute against a large cement plant owner that is publicly listed in Egypt. This dispute was related to an agreement for technical management, operation and maintenance integrated services of a cement plant. The dispute was registered with CRCICA and valued at around USD 52 million.
- Representation of a Chinese company in connection with a construction dispute of a cement plant against another large cement plant company that is publicly listed in Egypt. This dispute was registered with CRCICA and valued at over USD 7 million.
- Representation of a major UK oil and gas engineering company in connection with a construction dispute before CRCICA with a value of over USD 10 million.
- Representation of a major European hotel chain in connection with a CRCICA dispute against a large Egyptian hotel owner concerning a Hotel Management Agreement. This dispute was registered at CRCICA valued at USD 2.5 million.
- Representation of an international steel and mining company in connection with the prosecution and subsequent amicable settlement of a USD 600 million investment dispute in proceedings registered with ICSID against the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- Representation of a blue-chip UAE corporate client in connection with a series of disputes before CRCICA and ICC valued at USD 75 million.
- Representation of a large hotel owner in connection with a multi-million-dollar dispute against an international hotel operator concerning a hotel management agreement in proceedings registered with CRCICA.
- Representation of a board executive in connection with an arbitral proceeding before CRCICA against a real estate company.
- Representation of a real estate developer in Egypt in connection with a multi-million-dollar dispute concerning a construction agreement for building its new compound in New Cairo.
- Representation of a USA touristic development company in connection with ICSID proceedings filed against the Arab Republic of Egypt regarding a resort renovation and management.
- Representation of a glass-manufacturing client in connection with CRCICA arbitration proceedings and subsequent formal mediation process leading to the amicable settlement of a CRCICA arbitration.
- Representation of a UAE oil and gas company in connection with ICSID proceedings filed against the Arab Republic of Egypt regarding a gas pipelines construction and operation agreement.
- Representation of an Egyptian pharmaceutical company in connection with its dispute with a major construction company concerning the construction of the second phase of its factory.
- Representation of a major landlord in connection with a multi-million-dollar dispute concerning a lease agreement for commercial premises in proceedings registered with CRCICA.
- Representation of a leading Egyptian company in connection with a multi-million-dollar dispute against a global international company in proceedings registered with CRCICA.