Ahmed is a Counsel at Matouk Bassiouny UAE and a member of the Regional Dispute Resolution Group. A dual-qualified solicitor in Egypt and England & Wales, with 10+ years PQE in dispute resolution and litigation. Ahmed has diverse professional experience, working at local and international levels, in the private and public sectors. He is a registered Legal Practitioner in the DIFC Courts. He holds a Ph.D. from Cairo University and LL.M. degrees from Queen Mary University of London and Indiana University.
Prior to joining the firm, Ahmed worked at the World Bank, in Washington, DC; served for eight years as a Judge at the Cairo Economic Court and a prosecutor at the Prosecutor General’s Office; and worked as an in-house lawyer for two years at Oriental Weavers Group in Egypt.
- Representing a high-profile UAE client in the successful settlement of a USD 600 million dispute with a government entity in relation to an investment in the construction sector in the MENA region.
- Advising and representing a high-profile UAE client in relation to a billion-dollar corporate acquisition in Africa.
- Providing in-house legal support to a UAE private equity family business.
- Representing a client in the prosecution and subsequent amicable settlement of a competition law dispute in Egypt.
- Advising and representing a client in relation to a USD 20 million professional negligence dispute under English law.
- Advising an Egyptian client in relation to a potential arbitration claim under English law.
- Advising US clients in relation to compliance matters under Egyptian law.
- In his former capacity as a judge, heard and rendered judgments in commercial cases, including banking, corporate and stock market disputes.
- In his former capacity as a prosecutor, investigated and prosecuted high-profile crimes including white-collar, intellectual property, organized crime and customs evasion cases.
- In his former capacity as an in-house lawyer, drafted and reviewed legal documents and contracts, and provided legal opinions.