Jean-Jérôme Khodara is a Partner at Matouk Bassiouny with the Corporate / M&A Regional Practice Group, and the head of our Algeria Practice. Prior to joining Matouk Bassiouny, Jean-Jérôme worked with the French international law firm Gide and with the group LafargeHolcim where he was in charge of M&A transactions in the Middle-East and Africa (MEA). Jean-Jérôme has been awarded for Single Deal Legal Advisor by Private Equity Africa Awards (2019).
Jean-Jérôme’s practice spreads across the MEA region, with a focus on Algeria and Egypt. He advises local and international clients on M&A transactions with a specialization on complex cross-border deals. His expertise includes managing all phases of M&A transactions: structuring, due diligence, negotiation and transaction documents. Jean-Jérôme also handles other corporate transactions such as joint ventures and corporate restructurings.
Jean-Jérôme has advised:
- LafargeHolcim on a USD 290 million joint-venture company with Algerian partners for the design, construction and operation of a 2.7 million tons per year capacity cement plant in Biskra (Algeria);
- Meridian Investment (Russia) for the divestment of a majority stake in “TBE Egypt for Payment Solutions and Services” to affiliates of BPE Partners (formerly Beltone Private Equity) (Egypt);
- a leading US private investment firm for the acquisition of a majority stake in an Algerian pharma company (Algeria);
- Alta Semper Capital (a UK-based private equity firm) for the acquisition of a majority stake in ODM, Morocco’s leading oncology, radiology & diagnostics platform (Morocco);
- Hyundai in connection with the acquisition of Doosan Infracore (Algeria);
- Abraaj in relation to the acquisition of a minority stake in two Egyptian project companies each incorporated for the purposes of designing, constructing, building, testing and commissioning a 50MW solar power plant under Round 2 of the Feed-in Tariff program (Egypt);
- Yum, the owner of the KFC franchise, for the opening of a restaurant chain (Algeria);
- GE Health Care on the structuring of its importation and distribution business (Algeria);
- Kingsway Capital and Alta Semper Capital (two UK-based private equity firms) on the acquisition of a majority equity stake in Macro Group, a leading cosmeceuticals business in Egypt (Egypt);
- A leading FMCG company (listed on the Egyptian stock exchange) for the acquisition of a majority stake in the leading bakery chain in Egypt (Egypt);
- Ghabbour Auto for a corporate restructuring (Algeria);
- BPE Partners (formerly Beltone Private Equity) on the acquisition of a minority stake in three Egyptian companies (MMID 30, TAQA 50 & PHOENIX), qualified to participate in the second round of the solar Feed-in-Tariff Program (Egypt);
- GE Power for the restructuring of its joint-venture company in Libya (Libya).
- Private Equity Africa Awards, 2019 – Award for Single Deal Legal Advisor – in recognition of his work as lead counsel to Alta Semper Capital in their USD 50 million transaction with Oncologie et Diagnostic du Maroc “ODM”)
Harvard University (US); Master in Public Administration
Exeter University (UK); LLM – Master in European Law
University of Rennes (France); LLM – Post-Graduate Degree in Business Law (DJCE – DESS)
University of Paris II Assas (France); Master Degree in Business Law