Islam Saeed is a Partner of Matouk Bassiouny in Cairo office and head of Libya desk. He is experienced in the areas of corporate law and M&As and tax law. Islam practiced law in Egypt and also practiced law in Libya, in addition to covering legal works related to some of the GCC countries and Iraq
Islam is hailed for his in-depth and comprehensive work in complex M&As and taxing matters, and clients rely on him to provide an excellent client service, usually delivered in tight deadlines.
In the past two years, Egypt made tons of extensive legislation updates that affected corporate, M&A, private equity, taxing, joint ventures and capital market, where Islam has diligently assisted Matouk Bassiouny’s clients to promptly adopt their deals structuring with the new legislation, some of which have been issued just few days ahead of signing or closing the affected transactions, and those deals have been closed successfully.
Islam focuses on all corporate matters including M&A, restructuring and cross-borders transactions. In addition to corporate, Islam has significant experience in tax laws in Egypt and Libya.
- Acted for ABB in connection with divestment of and restructuring the power grids business units and company from ABB Group to Hitachi – ABB Power Grids new group in Egypt.
- Represented Amiral Group Sonker Bunkering Company in relation to:
- A settlement of over USD 50 million with the Egyptian government in relation to the BOT Concession Agreement entered into between the General Authority for Suez Canal Economic Zone Red Sea Ports, as the concession grantor, and Dubai World Ports – Al Sokhna, as the concessionaire, for the building, management, operation and transfer of the bulk liquids terminal located at Ain Al Sokhna. (December 2017)
- Its capacity as sub-contractor in connection with the BOT Concession Agreement entered into between the General Authority for Red Sea Ports, as the concession grantor, and Dubai World Ports – Al Sokhna, as the concessionaire, for the building, management, operation and transfer of the bulk liquids terminal located at Ain Al Sokhna. (May 2017)
- Representation of Amiral Group and Misr Technology Services Company (“MTS”), in restructuring the concession agreement with the Egyptian Customs Authority and the Ministry of Finance for establishment and operation of “single window” system for Egyptian customs.
- Representation of National Marine Dredging Company, the leasing company providing dredging, reclamation, and Marine construction projects in the Middle East, in formation of its EGP 200 million issued capital joint venture company with Canal Harbour & Great Projects Company, which is affiliated to Suez Canal Authority. The joint venture company, called EEMDC, has been established in the promising Suez Canal Economic Zone under the system of the Economic Zones Law. Further advised on and co-prepared EEMDC contracts portfolio, which now exceeds the total value of EGP 4.7 billion.
- Advised VEON Ltd. and its sub-subsidiary Global Telecom Holding S.A.E. (GTH) in relation to agreement with the Egyptian Tax Authority to settle all outstanding tax liabilities of GTH and its Egyptian subsidiaries for a total amount of USD 136 million. The agreement has been executed in June 2019.
- Representation of A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S and Mærsk Drilling Services A/S in their divestment from Egyptian Drilling Company (50% – 50% joint venture with EGPC), which is the leading drilling contractor in Egypt and one of the leaders in the MENA region. The instructions included providing local legal advices, structuring, leading the negotiations with the EGPC, co-preparing the transaction documentation. Transaction Value: USD 100 million (Closed in January 2018).
- Representation of NBK Capital Partners, in connection with the acquisition of 100% of King Integrated American School (KIAS), located in the fast-growing King Mariut area within Alexandria, Egypt. The instructions included providing legal advices, structuring, conducting legal due diligence and preparing the transaction documentation. Transaction Value: Confidential (Closed in February 2019).
- Representation of EFG Hermes and GEMS Education group in acquisition of a New Cairo-based k-12 four schools from Talaat Moustafa Group Holding (TMG Holding), Egypt’s largest listed real estate developer. Instructions included, deal structuring, preparation of transaction document and managing the deal closure process. Transaction value: EGP 1 billion (closed in May 2018).
Alexandria University: LL.B.
- Egyptian Bar Association – Member