Islam Saeed is a Partner with Matouk Bassiouny in the Cairo office and Head of the Libya desk. He is experienced in the areas of corporate law and M&As, and tax law. Islam practices law in Egypt and also in Libya, in addition to covering legal work related to some of the GCC countries and Iraq.
Islam is hailed for his in-depth and comprehensive work in complex M&As and taxing matters, and clients rely on him to provide an excellent client service, usually delivered in tight deadlines.
In the past two years Egypt has made tons of extensive legislation updates that has affected corporate, M&A, private equity, taxing, joint ventures and capital market. Islam has diligently assisted Matouk Bassiouny’s clients to swiftly adapt their deal structuring to the new legislations, some of which were issued just few days ahead of signing or closing the affected transactions. Those deals have been closed successfully.
Islam focuses on all corporate matters including M&A, restructuring and cross-borders transactions. In addition to corporate, Islam has significant experience in tax law in Egypt and Libya.
- Representation of National Marine Dredging Company, the leasing company providing dredging, reclamation, and Marine construction projects in the Middle East, in formation of its EGP 200 million issued capital joint venture company with Canal Harbour & Great Projects Company, which is affiliated to Suez Canal Authority. The joint venture company, called EEMDC, has been established in the promising Suez Canal Economic Zone under the system of the Economic Zones Law. Further advised on and co-prepared EEMDC contracts portfolio, which now exceeds the total value of EGP 4.7 billion.
- Advised VEON Ltd. and its sub-subsidiary Global Telecom Holding S.A.E. (GTH) in relation to agreement with the Egyptian Tax Authority to settle all outstanding tax liabilities of GTH and its Egyptian subsidiaries for a total amount of USD 136 million. The agreement has been executed in June 2019.
- Representation of A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S and Mærsk Drilling Services A/S in their divestment from Egyptian Drilling Company (50% – 50% joint venture with EGPC), which is the leading drilling contractor in Egypt and one of the leaders in the MENA region. The instructions included providing local legal advices, structuring, leading the negotiations with the EGPC, co-preparing the transaction documentation. Transaction Value: USD 100 million (Closed in January 2018).
- Representation of NBK Capital Partners, in connection with the acquisition of 100% of King Integrated American School (KIAS), located in the fast-growing King Mariut area within Alexandria, Egypt. The instructions included providing legal advices, structuring, conducting legal due diligence and preparing the transaction documentation. Transaction Value: Confidential (Closed in February 2019).
- Representation of EFG Hermes and GEMS Education group in acquisition of a New Cairo-based k-12 four schools from Talaat Moustafa Group Holding (TMG Holding), Egypt’s largest listed real estate developer. Instructions included, deal structuring, preparation of transaction document and managing the deal closure process. Transaction value: EGP 1 billion (closed in May 2018).
Faculty of Law, English Section: LL.B
- Doing Business in Libya – Oxford Business Group – 2009 and 2010
- Country Report – Libya – for IDI Project – 2012
- Country Report – Egypt – for IDI Project – 2012
- Egypt’s Fiscal Policy – 2013
- Doing Business in Libya – Opportunities and Challenges of the Transition -2014
- Doing Business in Sudan – MBAIH – 2018
- IFLR – 2019 M&A Egypt Report
- New York State Bar Association – Member
- International Bar Association – Member
- ABA Rule of Law Initiative – Advisory Board Member, Egypt
- ICC Arab Arbitration Group – Member
- Board of Trustees, St. Andrew’s School – Board Member
- Young Presidents’ Organization – Member
- American Chamber of Commerce – Member