Amr Baggatto is a partner at Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy. He joined the Firm in October 2018. Prior to joining Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy, Amr had been acting as a Partner in Baker McKenzie’s Cairo office and worked for several years with the legal department of the Commercial International Bank.
Amr has also been recognized by IFLR as “a highly regarded lawyer in M&A and Project Finance” for the year 2018.
Amr focuses his practice on Corporate M&A and Capital Market as well as Banking and Finance areas. He has been actively involved in a number of high-profile transactions.
- Advice Golden Pyramids Plaza on US$ 750 million off-shore bond program distributed over 17 tranches.
- Advised Barclays Bank Plc in connection with the sale of its shares in Barclays Bank Egypt. We were specifically in charge of advising on the tax aspect of the transaction.
- Acting as a special Egyptian legal counsel to Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC), an economic authority of the Arab Republic of Egypt, in connection with a USD 1.4 billion loan made to Petroleum Export VI Limited (PEL VI), a company incorporated under the laws of Cayman Islands. The financing will be utilized to fund 78 oil shipments, comprising of 47 crude oil shipments and 31 NAFTA shipments.
- Acting for EBRD in connection with a conventional Islamic finance syndication transaction with a total value USD 190 million and another USD 20 million facility to Advanced Energy System” (ADES), an Egyptian oil field services company to refinance existing indebtedness and finance the acquisition of a new rig.
- Advised Indian multinational Aditya Birla Group on its USD 925 million refinance existing English law facility agreement between its subsidiary Alexandria Carbon Black Company and Standard Charted Bank as agent and security trustee.
- Acting for Commercial International Bank (CIB) and Legal & General Overseas Holdings B.V. in connection with the sale of 100% of Commercial International Life Insurance Company. In addition, drafting and negotiating a long term exclusive bancassurance agreement between Commercial International Bank (CIB) and Commercial International Life Insurance Company to be entered into post completion.
Cairo University, Law School, English Section
- Egyptian Bar Association – Member