Dr. Amr A. Abbas is a Partner and Head of the Arbitration Department within the Dispute Resolution Practice Group at Matouk Bassiouny. Dr. Abbas is also a lecturer at the Faculty of Law Cairo University, where he teaches Economic Legislations (investment law, international investment law, competition law, capital markets law and banking), and the academic supervisor of the Faculty’s Moot Court Arbitration. He is also an adjunct professor at the Law & Economic LLM program between Hamburg University and Cairo University. Dr. Abbas is a registered arbitrator at the panel of arbitrators of the Egyptian Ministry of Justice, the Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA), and Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce Commercial Conciliation and Arbitration Centre (ADCCAC). Dr. Abbas acted as a chairman, sole arbitrator and co-arbitrator in CRCICA and ADCCAC arbitrations as well as legal expert in investment treaty arbitration.
Prior to joining Matouk Bassiouny, he has worked with White and Case LLP and the World Bank in Washington DC, as well as, Sharkawy & Sarhan and Ibrachy & Dermarkar law firms in Cairo.
Dr. Abbas has also acted as a legal adviser to the Egyptian Competition Authority between 2014 and 2015, where he advised on pending cases as well as on draft laws and regulation. Dr. Abbas has also advised the Ministry of Petroleum on the draft natural gas law and acted as Egypt’s In- Country Evaluator for the United Nations Global Compact Anti-Corruption Collective Action Project in 2015. Before that, Dr. Abbas was a partner at Sharkawy & Sarhan between 2011 and 2014. There, Dr. Abbas’ practice included representing clients in disputes, M&A, finance, capital markets, corporate and commercial law issues.
Between 2008 and 2011 Dr. Abbas worked at White & Case, where he worked on represented and advised sovereigns and multinational corporations in international arbitration and litigation of international investment, construction, and antitrust and international business disputes before the ICC, ICSID, and different courts and agencies.
Between 2006 and 2008, Dr. Abbas worked as an attorney at the World Bank’s legal department in Washington DC. His work at the World Bank included negotiating and drafting legal agreements related to partial risk guarantees, loans and credits, and various legal agreements for the World Bank’s carbon finance projects and operations. While at the World Bank, Dr. Abbas was the recipient of two performance awards in recognition “of his important contributions in bringing about the successful closure of the partial risk guarantee for the Amman Power Project in Jordan”, and in recognition of his “valuable contributions to the Project Finance and Cofinancing Group on carbon finance operations.”
Dr. Abbas began his career as an attorney with Ibrachy & Dermarkar in Cairo. During his time there, Dr. Abbas’ work included advising and representing banks, major airline operators, oil & gas companies, construction companies, and sovereigns in international commercial arbitration and in Egyptian Capital Market arbitration as well as in a wide range of corporate and business law issues.
Dr. Abbas practice includes representing and advising clients on international arbitration as well as competition and other disputes. His experience includes also advising clients on oil & gas, projects, M&A and corporate and commercial issues.
- Representing a major European manufacturer in an ICSID Arbitration against a North African State and successfully settling the dispute.
- Successfully representing a major Gulf private equity corporation in an ICC arbitration and obtaining an award of more than USD 60 million plus costs.
- Successfully representing a major Gulf private equity corporation in an arbitral dispute against an Egyptian prominent business tycoon in a dispute relating to a deadlock between shareholders in a major steel company and obtaining an award of USD 6 million plus several million Egyptian pounds as well as interest and arbitration costs.
- Advising a major European oil & gas corporation in several CRCICA and ICSID arbitrations.
- Representing a major telecommunication company in CRCICA arbitration relating to telecommunication law and interconnection agreement.
- Representing a telecom corporation in CRCICA Arbitration regarding digital rights agreement.
- Representing a major company which provides services to the cement industry in Egypt, Africa and the Middle East, in CRCICA arbitration against a cement manufacturer in Egypt in a dispute relating to an Agreement for Technical Management, Operation and Maintenance Integrated Services (OMIS).
- Representing a major European Hotel chain in CRCICA Arbitration relating to termination of hotel management agreement.
- Advising and representing a major Gulf investor on disputes with its contractors under FIDIC agreement and drafting related settlement agreement.
- Advising and representing a major Egyptian contractor in several construction disputes.
- Advising a joint venture construction company on all its contracts and disputes relating to construction of a major hypermarket and related infrastructure.
- Representing a global internet services company in competition investigations relating to its work in Egypt.
- Representing a major European manufacturer company in competition investigations relating to its work in Egypt.
- Representing an energy corporation in an ICC arbitration.
- Representing a State in an ICC arbitration concerning the construction of airport and termination of a concession agreement.
- Representing a State in an ICSID dispute relating to concession agreement.
- Representing a European corporation in CRCICA arbitration relating to a joint venture agreement.
- Representing an Asian corporation in CRCICA arbitration relating to services agreement.
- Representing an oil company in CRCICA dispute concerning termination of a franchise agreement.
- Advising and successfully representing six foreign exporters of polypropylene in the safeguard investigations on imports it to Egypt after the Egyptian authority has imposed provisional safeguard duties.
- Advising and successfully representing a mining company in litigation concerning the annulment of its concession.
- Advising and representing foreign reinsurers in an insurance dispute for over EGP200 million and drafting related settlement agreement.
- Speaker in the “International Arbitration in Ethiopia, East Africa and Beyond: Prospects, Possibilities and Challenges Conference”, International Chamber of Commerce, (African Union, Addis Ababa, 2017).
- “Egypt Chapter on Arbitration”, Global Arbitration Review, The Middle Eastern and African Arbitration Review, (2016) (coauthor).
- Speaker on “Sukuk and its potential in Egypt”, Innovation in Financial Law and Systems: A Conference in Honour of Professor Joseph J. Norton, Queen Mary University of London, Lincoln’s Inn Field Campus (London, May 2016).
- Speaker on Corruption and Bribery in Arbitration and Successfully Managing the Evolving World of Risks and Sanctions, Clifford Chance African Counsel Retreat, (Dubai, March 2016).
- Speaker in the “Merger and Acquisition Control under Competition Law and Its Effect on the Market Structure and Investment Environment Workshop”, Center for Economic & Financial Research, Faculty of Economics & Political Science, Cairo University (December 2015)
- Moderator of “Enabling Investment Climate: Egyptian Competition Law Amendments and Business Sector Compliance”, and presentation on “The latest Amendments to the Egyptian Competition Law and the Importance of Business Compliance”, Joint Workshop between Egyptian Competition Authority and the European Union Twinning Program in cooperation with the German Chamber of Commerce, (Cairo, November 2015).
- Speaker on “Egyptian Competition Law and Competition Issues Relating to Establishing a New Regulator in the Gas Sector,” The Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS) (September 2015).
- Speaker on “An Overview of Egyptian Competition Law and its Main Recent Amendments,” Workshop on Competition Law, Cairo University Faculty of Law (April 2015).
- Speaker on “Egyptian Competition Law and Egyptian Competition Authority’s Objectives, Mission and Work Process,” Workshop on Egyptian Competition Law Recent Amendments and How to Comply with Them, Cinema Industry Chamber (April 2015).
- Moderator of “Media Roundtable on New Amendments to Egyptian Competition Law,” Egyptian Competition Authority (March 2015).
- “New Foreign Depository Receipts Regulations: Filling in a Regulatory Gap or a Tide to More Restrictive Market?” Sharkawy & Sarhan Newsletter, (March 2013) (coauthor).
- “Regulatory Framework of Egypt’s Capital Market: A Room for Reform?” EBRD Journal Law in Transition, (May 2012) (coauthor).
- Speaker on “How Regime Change Has Triggered Corruption Investigations and What It Means for Your Egyptian Operations and Contracts,” 3rd Middle East Summit on Anti-Corruption, (Abu Dhabi, 2012).
- Speaker on “Perspectives on Advocacy in New Egypt,” ABA Rule of Law Initiative, (Cairo, 2011).
- Speaker on “Egypt’s Legal Environment,” European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, (London, 2011).
- “Embracing Arbitration Again? A Welcome Step after the Egyptian Revolution,” Sharkawy & Sarhan Newsletter, (2011) (coauthor).
- “The Arab Free Trade Area,” Law and Business Review of the Americas, (2004).
- “Encouraging Investment Flows Into Egypt,” London Forum for International Economic Law and Development Newsletter, (2004).
- “Egypt Section in Foreign Law Year in Review: 2002: Middle Eastern Commercial Law,” The International Lawyer, (2003) (coauthor).