Dr. Ahmed Abdelgawad is a Partner at Matouk Bassiouny and he is a member of our Corporate and M&A team. He is also a Teacher at the Criminal Law Department of the Faculty of Law, Cairo University. Dr. Ahmed has obtained his PhD degree on “The General Theory for Capital Market Crimes” from Cairo University in 2015.
Ahmed mainly specializes in M&A transactions including conducting due diligences, drafting and negotiating Share Purchase Agreements, Shareholders’ agreements and Escrow Agreements and the execution of said Agreements. Ahmed has recently been focusing on M&A in the FMCG, IT and Telecommunications sectors and has represented Danone in its successful acquisition of Halayeb Food and Rocket Internet in its successful acquisition of Otlob. He has also worked on several major project finances and syndication whether with national or international banks and financial institutions. He is also well experienced in managing disputes and he participated in a number of arbitrations in Egypt as well as several major litigations.
Ahmed is currently advising one of the three mobile operators in Egypt in connection with their relations with the National Telecommunications Regulatory Authority and other Telecommunications companies operating in Egypt.
- Representing the major shareholders of Cairo Scan for Radiology Centers in connection with the divestment of their stake in favor of Mediterrania Capital Partners III Ltd, (MCP) and representing the remaining shareholders in connection with the shareholders agreement to be entered into MCP. The transaction value was approximately EGP 80 million.
- Representation of the shareholders of Dice Sports and Casual Wear S.A.E in the public listing and offering of the shares of the company at EGX.
- Representation of Cairo 3A for International Industries S.A.E. in the public tender offer over the shares of National Company for Maize Products S.A.E.. The transaction value was approximately EGP 1.5 billion.
- Assistance to a regional telecom operator in the context of its negotiations with the NTRA (National Telecom Regulatory Authority) in relation to issues with the quality of a frequency allocated and to the non-allocation of another frequency.
- Representation of consortium for the acquisition of a telecom tower from a local telecom operator.
- Representation of Orascom Telecom Holding SAE in relation to its divestment of LinkDotNet. The instructions include transaction structuring, drafting transaction documentation and assisting in the negotiations thereof and the closing of the transaction. Transaction value: USD 130 million.
- Assistance to a regional telecom operator for the negotiation of a tri-partite agreement with the NTRA and the Ministry of Defense in relation to the evacuation of a frequency band.
- Representation of a telecom operator in a dispute with the NTRA regarding interconnection rates for international calls.
- Assistance to a local telecom operator in its negotiation with two other local telecom operators regarding interconnection rates.
- Representation of a local telecom operator in its dispute with Egypt Telecom regarding the provision of internet services.
- Advice to a local telecom operator on the regulatory framework for the obtaining of a 4G license.
- Representation of Gulf Capital, along with co-counsel Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, in connection with the acquisition of minority stake in Middle East Glass Manufacturing S.A.E. The transaction involved the launching of a mandatory public tender offer for the acquisition of up to 100% of the share capital of the company and undertaking capital increase.
- Representation of the Emirates National Bank of Dubai, along with co-counsel Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, in connection with the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of BNP Paribas Egypt SAE. Transaction value: USD 500 million.
- Representation of Rocket Internet in connection with the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of Otlob for Restaurants Reservations. Transaction value: Confidential.
- Representation of Abraai in connection with the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of the Egyptian
Contact Centers Company “ECCO”. Transaction value: Confidential.
- Representation of Citadel Capital/Grandview Capital/ Watanya Printing in relation to divestment of a minority stake to IFC through a right issue. The instructions included transaction structuring and revising and negotiating the transaction documentation. Transaction value: USD 10 Million.
- Representation of The Sanmar Group in relation to a syndication led by State Bank of India, Bahrain Branch in an amount of USD 875 million.
- Representation of Hutchinson Ports Holding in relation to the acquisition of a majority stake in Alexandria International Container Terminal S.A.E. The instructions included transaction structuring, drafting transaction documentation and assisting in the negotiations thereof. Transaction value: confidential.
- Representation of Momen Group, a major player in the food sector in Egypt and in the Middle East in connection with the restructuring of the group and the sale of a large minority stake to Actis Private Equity Fund. Transaction value: Confidential.
- Representation of Suez Steel Company in relation to the syndication led by BNP Paribas SUISSE that provided Suez with USD based loan of 285,000,000.00 (Two hundred and eighty-five million United States Dollars).
- Representation of Suez Steel Company in relation to the syndication led by Arab African International Bank that provided Suez with an EGP based loan of EGP 3.5 billion.
- Representation of Hutchinson Ports Holding in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake in Alexandria International Container Terminal S.A.E. The instructions included transaction structuring, drafting transaction documentation and assisting in the negotiations thereof. Transaction value: Confidential.
- Successfully represented Saudi Egyptian Touristic Development Company in its capacity as hotel owner in two high profile arbitrations relating to two five-star hotel disputes (Cairo and Red Sea coast hotels) with respective hotel operators and government regulatory authorities.
- Representation Beco in its investment in Vezeeta.com. Transaction value: USD 3,000,000.
- Representation of KBBO, a UAE based Investment Group in relation to the acquisition of 60% of Flying Elephant Lab, the owner and operator of Yaoota website (shopping search engine). Transaction Value: USD2,700,000.
- The General Theory for Capital Markets Crimes, PhD Thesis, Cairo University – 2015
- Equity capital markets in Egypt: regulatory overview, Practical Law – 2015
- Equity capital markets in Egypt: regulatory overview, Practical Law – 2016
- Equity capital markets in Egypt: regulatory overview, Practical Law – 2017, under publication
PhD, Cairo University School of Law “General Theory for Capital Markets Crimes”
Queen Mary, University of London: Visiting Researcher
Faculty of Law, Cairo University: LL.B. (2005), Private Law Diploma
Faculty of Law, Cairo University: LL.B. (2005), Criminal Law Diploma
- New York State Bar Association – Member
- International Bar Association – Member
- ABA Rule of Law Initiative – Advisory Board Member, Egypt
- ICC Arab Arbitration Group – Member
- Board of Trustees, St. Andrew’s School – Board Member
- Young Presidents’ Organization (“YPO”) – Board Member, YPO Cairo Chapter
- American Chamber of Commerce – Member