Dr. Amr A. Abbas
Dr. Amr A. Abbas
Partner, Head of Arbitration and Co-Head of Competition
Dr. Amr A. Abbas is a Partner and Head of the Arbitration Department and Co- Head of the Competition practice at Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy where over the last 20 years, he’s represented clients in more than 90 arbitration cases including cases under the laws of several jurisdictions including Abu Dhabi, Algeria, Dubai, Egypt, France, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United Kingdom and the United States before ADCCAC, CAS, CRCICA, DIAC, DIFC-LCIA, LCIA, ICC, ICSID, PCA as well as in ad hoc arbitrations. He has acted as a legal advisor to the Egyptian Competition Authority (2014-2015). Dr. Abbas has also advised the Ministry of Petroleum on the draft natural gas law and acted as Egypt’s In-Country Evaluator for the United Nations Global Compact Anti-Corruption Collective Action Project in 2015. Prior to joining MBH, he worked at White & Case LLP, The World Bank in Washington DC, Sharkawy & Sarhan, Ibrachy & Dermarker in Cairo.
Dr. Abbas is also a staff member at the Faculty of Law Cairo University and the academic supervisor of the Faculty’s Moot Court Arbitration. In addition, he is an adjunct professor at the Law & Economic LLM program between Hamburg University and Cairo University.
Referring to Dr. Abbas, recent legal periodicals have stated:
Dr. Amr Abbas managed the dispute strategically and always gave us practical advice.
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
I am very impressed with his advocacy skills
Chambers Global, 2021
He has a remarkable ability to come up with answers to complicated issues in a very smooth and sharp way.
Chambers Global, 2021
Amr Abas is an expert on competition law issues and provides insightful advice
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
Amr Abbas is well regarded for his arbitration expertise and has regularly handled cases in the oil & gas and telecoms sectors.
Chambers Global, 2019
- Acted as co-arbitrator at a Cairo Regional Center for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA) case related to the construction of a housing complex in Egypt.
- Acted as chairman of an arbitration tribunal at CRCICA arbitration related to hotel management.
- Acted as sole arbitrator in Abu Dhabi Commercial Conciliation and Arbitration Centre (ADCCAC) arbitration regarding the construction of a housing complex in the United Arab Emirates.
- Acted as chairman of an ADCCAC arbitral tribunal in an arbitration related to construction of administrative building.
- Acted as co-arbitrator in CRCICA arbitration related to the distribution of petroleum products.
- Acted as chairman of an arbitration tribunal at ADCCAC arbitration related to an agency agreement.
- Acted as chairman of an ADCCAC arbitral tribunal on a dispute regarding supply agreement.
- Acted as co-arbitrator in an Ad Hoc arbitration related to transfer of technology agreement.
- Successful representation of a major Egyptian construction company in connection with a dispute arising out of undertaking the entire civil works of a fully integrated complex for manufacturing sugar.
- Successful representation of a major company which provides services to the cement industry in Egypt, Africa and the Middle East, in CRCICA arbitration against a cement manufacturer in Egypt in connection with a dispute relating to an Agreement for Technical Management, Operation and Maintenance Integrated Services (OMIS).
- Representation of a UAE company providing Oil & Gas services in connection with an ICC arbitration in Dubai governed by UAE law.
- Representation of a North African corporation in the Oil & Gas Sector in connection with an ICC arbitration in Paris governed by Algerian law.
- Successful representation of a major European Hotel chain in connection with CRCICA Arbitration relating to termination of hotel management agreement.
- Representation of a major Gulf investor in connection with disputes with its contractors under FIDIC agreement and drafted related settlement agreement.
- Successful Representation of a State in connection with an ICC arbitration concerning the construction of airport and termination of a concession agreement.
- Successful representation of a major European manufacturer in connection with an ICSID Arbitration against a North African State and settled the dispute.
- Successful representation of a major Gulf private equity corporation in connection with an ICC arbitration in London and obtained an award of more than USD 60 million plus costs.
- Successful representation of a major Gulf private equity corporation in connection with an arbitral dispute against an Egyptian prominent business tycoon in a dispute related to a deadlock between shareholders in a major steel company and obtained an award of USD 6 million plus several million Egyptian pounds as well as interest and arbitration costs.
- Successful representation of a major telecommunication company in connection with CRCICA arbitration relating to telecommunication law and interconnection agreement.
- Advised a major European oil & gas corporation on several CRCICA and ICSID arbitrations.
- Representation of an energy corporation in connection with an ICC arbitration.
- Representation of a global internet services company in connection with competition investigations relating to its work in Egypt.
- Successfully representation of a State in connection with an ICSID dispute relating to concession agreement.
- Successful representation of six foreign exporters of polypropylene in connection with the safeguard investigations on their imports to Egypt after the Egyptian authority had imposed provisional safeguard duties.
- Successful representation of a mining company in connection with litigation concerning the annulment of its concession.
- Advised and represented foreign reinsurers in connection with an insurance dispute for over EGP200 million and drafted related settlement agreement.