Osman Mowafy is a Partner in Matouk Bassiouny’s Dispute Resolution group and leads the firm’s litigation practice. With over 20 years’ experience in litigation and international arbitration, Osman specializes in handling major commercial disputes before Egyptian Courts as well as in adjudicating Arabic-language disputes before the Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration. Osman is qualified to practice before the Cairo Court of Cassation, Egypt’s highest court.
Legal 500, 2012, quotes: “John Matouk and Osman Mowafy are number one in litigation.”
Osman has over 20 years of litigation experience in all major sectors of the Egyptian economy including commercial agencies, heavy industries, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications and tourism.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representation of a major Egyptian real estate developer listed on the Egyptian stock exchange before the Egyptian State Council with respect to the annulment of a real estate development license involving the Egyptian Tourism Development Authority.
- Representation of a major Egyptian regional telecoms holding company in: (i) successfully blocking the enforcement of a foreign arbitral award relating to a material share transfer dispute; and (ii) in successfully concluding a major commercial dispute settlement in favor of the client.
- Representation of a European electrical parts manufacturer in successfully negotiating the amicable resolution of a major industrial labor strike in coordination with the Public Prosecutor’s Office, Labor office, the Ministry of Labor and Manpower as well as local law enforcement agencies.
- Representation of a major Saudi holding company in its capacity as hotel owner in two high profile arbitrations relating to two five-star hotel disputes (Grand Hyatt Cairo and Hurghada Sheraton hotels) with respective hotel operators and government regulatory authorities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association – Member
T + (202) 2796 2042
osman.mowafy @ matoukbassiouny.com
- Faculty of Law, Ain Shams University: LL.B (1991)
- Osman Mowafy ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Egypt – Chambers & Partners, 2013