Omar S. Bassiouny is the Founding Partner of Matouk Bassiouny. Omar heads the firm’s Corporate/ M&A group and has been consistently ranked in the top tier by Chambers & Partners in the areas of corporate law and mergers and acquisitions. He has earned special recognition in Mergers & Acquisitions for his in-depth focus on private equity/venture capital and cross-borders transactions. Mr. Bassiouny’s impressive track record includes most recently representing Emirates NBD PJSC on the USD 500 million acquisition of BNP Paribas S.A.E. in Egypt in June 2013 and representing Abraaj in the USD 434 Million acquisition of Al Mokhtabar in August 2012.
Recognized for his negotiations skills and business sense, Omar has also considerable expertise in setting-up joint ventures and new projects in Egypt, as well as ensuring compliance with local laws and corporate governance.
Over the past couple of years legal periodicals noted:
- “Omar Bassiouny is a very strong lawyer and always available. They are one of my favorite local firms. Absolutely top class.” – IFLR 1000, 2014.
- Omar is “an excellent negotiator and dealmaker” and “an asset to have on one’s side.” – Legal 500, 2013.
- “Clients admire his excellent negotiation skills and unfailing dedication, saying: “He is passionate about what he does.” – Chambers & Partners, 2013.
- “He is very good at the technical level – he really understands what is required and is very practical.” – Chambers & Partners, 2012.
- “Clients appreciate Omar Bassiouny ability to act as executive partner on international deals, marshaling the worldwide resources of the team. They also value his “sophisticated private equity expertise and understanding of the client’s broader concerns,” as well as his international style, presentation and approach.” – Chambers& Partners, 2011.
- “Omar Bassiouny is a clear leader, who is extremely committed and supported by a great team.” – Legal 500, 2015.
Omar is consistently ranked as a leading lawyer in Egypt in legal periodicals.
Omar S. Bassiouny focuses on all corporate matters including M&A, public takeovers, restructuring and cross-borders transactions. In addition to corporate, Omar has significant experience on all aspects of investing and doing business in Egypt.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representation of Emirates National Bank of Dubai, along with co-counsel Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, in connection with the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of BNP Paribas Egypt SAE. Transaction value: USD 500 million.
- Representation of Integrated Diagnostic Holding Ltd, an affiliate of Abraaj IGFC Company and the owner of Al Borg Laboratories SAE on the acquisition of 100% of Al Mokhtabar Laboratories Company SAE to create the largest private medical diagnostics business in the Middle East and South Asia. Transaction value: USD 434 million (EGP 2,621 million).
- Representation of Orascom Telecom Holding S.A.E. in relation to its divestment of LinkDotNet. The instructions include transaction structuring, drafting transaction documentation and assisting in the negotiations thereof and the closing of the transaction. Transaction value: USD 130 million.
- Representation of Litat Investment in its acquisition of a majority stake of the capital of Suez Steel, Misr National Steel and Egyptian Steel Co., creating thereafter Sold Misr Holding, currently the third largest steel producer in Egypt. The instructions included due diligence, transaction structuring and drafting and negotiating the transaction documentation. Transaction value: USD 650 million
- Representation of Hutchinson Ports Holding in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake in Alexandria International Container Terminal S.A.E. The instructions included transaction structuring, drafting transaction documentation and assisting in the negotiations thereof. Transaction value: Confidential.
- Representation of the Sanmar Group on all legal and structuring aspects relating to the acquisition of Trust Chemicals Industries LLC. The instructions included a due diligence exercise on the target company, drafting transaction memoranda of understandings, transaction documentation, advisory in connection with the financing structuring and drafting and/or reviewing the financing documentation. Transaction value: USD 275 million.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association – Member
- American Chamber of Commerce – Member
- Egyptian Malaysian Business Council – Member
- “Venture Capital Investment in Egypt – Legal and Regulatory Issues”, International Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2004/2005, Euromoney Publications 2004.
- “An Insight on Doing Business in Egypt”, BCA, November 2004 Issue.
- “Equity Transactions in Egypt – Legal Regulatory Issues Faced by Inward Investors”, International Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2003/2004, Euromoney Publications, 2003.
Founding Partner & Head of Corporate/M&A
T + (202) 2796 2042
omar.bassiouny @ matoukbassiouny.com
- American University Cairo: Bachelors of Art in Public and International Law (1998)
- Faculty of Law, Cairo University: Licence en Droit (1999)
- Omar Bassiouny ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Mergers & Acquisitions (Egypt) – IFLR 1000, 2014
- Omar Bassiouny ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Egypt – Chambers & Partners, 2013