Mahmoud Salah Bassiouny is a Partner at Matouk Bassiouny and heads the Finance & Projects group. His experience in trade and project finance and in the oil and gas industry has earned him the trust of large commercial banks, export credit agencies and major players in the energy industry. His practice has earned the trust of clients like HSBC, US EXIM and Union Fenosa Gas and has excellent working relationships with conventional and Islamic financiers working in Egypt (Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank, Banque Audi). Following political events in the region, Mahmoud has been working closely with borrowers on the restructuring of their debt obligations and has assisted oil, gas and minerals’ exploration and production companies in their negotiations with the Egyptian government. His sector expertise includes aviation, real estate development, heavy industries and power & infrastructure.
Legal periodicals identify:
- Mahmoud as “one of the best and most reliable lawyers in Egypt” and has “good knowledge of the oil and gas sector.” – Legal 500, 2013.
- Mahmoud’s practice with “Impressive timeliness and availability.” – Chambers & Partners, 2013.
- “[He is] very forthright. He has experience handling various commercial matters and legal issues of a varied nature and knows how to protect an investment.” – IFLR 1000, 2013.
- Mahmoud as “Outstanding.” – Legal 500, 2012.
Mahmoud advises major oil and gas players, public and private parties, lenders and consultancy firms on various issues related to their business. He has also extensive experience in matters of local security creation and perfection.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representation of Melrose Resources plc, an Edinburgh based oil and gas company, with interests and assets in Egypt on its merger with Petroceltic International Plc for the purposes of the proposed re-admission of the enlarged share capital of Petroceltic to the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange plc and the ESM of the Irish Stock Exchange. The team has reviewed the transaction documentations which included the concessions agreements, the gas sales agreements and the finance documentation.
- Representation of Export Import Bank of the United States on the financing of Egyptair’s acquisition of 5 Boeing 737-800 aircrafts through a finance leasing structure.
- Representation of J.P. Morgan PLC and Morgan Stanley & Co. International PLC and a syndicate of banks in their grant to Petroleum Export Limited V a facility of up to USD 1 billion to finance the purchase of crude oil from the Egyptian General Petroleum Company (“EGPC”).
- Representation of J.P. Morgan PLC and Morgan Stanley & Co. International PLC and a bank syndicate in granting various petroleum companies a USD 1.5 billion Bridge Facility and a USD 2 billion Facility to finance the purchase of crude oil from EGPC.
- Representation of J.P. Morgan PLC and Morgan Stanley & Co. International PLC and a bank syndicate in granting a USD 900 million Facility to Petroleum Export Limited III.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association – Member
- Egyptian Business Lawyers Association – Member
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators – Member
- American Chamber of Commerce – Member
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce – Member
Partner and Head of Finance & Projects
T + (202) 2796 2042
mahmoud.bassiouny @ matoukbassiouny.com
- Pantheon Sorbonne University Paris I/Cairo University, Institut du Droit des Affaires Internationales (“IDAI”): Maitrise in Corporate Law (June 2004), Licence in Corporate Law (June 2003) and DEUG Law (2002).
- Mahmoud Bassiouny ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Banking & Finance (Egypt) – IFLR 1000, 2014