John Matouk is a co-founder of Matouk Bassiouny and heads the firm’s Dispute Resolution group. A New York qualified lawyer and dual national, John has been practicing in Cairo for close to 20 years and is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer in Egypt.
Recent legal periodicals have referred to John as:
- “One of the market leaders in Cairo” – Legal 500 EMEA, 2017
- “The ‘quick and commercial’ head of the dispute resolution department John Matouk leads ‘a very sophisticated team that is commercially minded and practical’” – Legal 500 EMEA, 2017
- “I am always impressed by his ability to take a step back, think of solutions and give clear recommendations.” – Chambers & Partners, 2016
- He is commended by clients for his ability to “guide clients through the idiosyncrasies of the Egyptian legal system.” – Chambers & Partners, 2016
- Market sources report: “People enjoy working with him.” – Chambers & Partners, 2016
John’s disputes work encompasses a large and varied practice across the Middle East and North Africa. He has vast developed experience advising on disputes before the local courts as well as on arbitrations under the auspices of major arbitral institutions including the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and the Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA).
His recent experience includes successfully representing multinationals in a variety of investment treaty and commercial disputes.
- John Matouk ranked as a leading lawyer in dispute resolution – Legal 500, 2017
- John Matouk ranked as a Leading Lawyer – IFLR 1000, 2017
- John Matouk ranked as an Eminent Practitioner – Chambers & Partners, 2017
- John Matouk ranked as a Leading Lawyer – Chambers & Partners, 2017
Representative Legal Matters
- Successful representation of a multinational steel manufacturing corporation in the amicable settlement of a USD 600 Million investment dispute in proceedings registered with ICSID against the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- Successful representation of a major Japanese automotive manufacturer in defending client against claims in Egyptian courts exceeding USD 1 billion in complex litigation involving procedural and substantive arguments relating to the validity and enforceability of arbitration clause within the context of commercial agency/distribution relationships in Egypt.
- Successful representation of a major glass manufacturing client in the amicable settlement of a multi-million US Dollar CRCICA arbitration.
- Successful representation of over 10 multi-national blue-chip manufacturing companies in multi-million dollar disputes before Egyptian courts relating to termination of agency/distribution relationships.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association – Member
- International Bar Association – Member
- ABA Rule of Law Initiative – Advisory Board Member, Egypt
- ICC Arab Arbitration Group – Member
- Board of Trustees, St. Andrew’s School – Board Member
- Young Presidents’ Organization (“YPO”) – Board Member, YPO Cairo Chapter
- American Chamber of Commerce – Member
- Egypt, “The Middle Eastern and African Arbitration Review 2017”, Global Arbitration Review, 2017, pp. 70 – 77
- Egypt, “The European, Middle Eastern and African Arbitration Review 2016”, Global Arbitration Review, 2016, pp. 56-61.
- Egypt, “Arbitration in Africa – A Review of Key Jurisdictions”, Sweet & Maxwell, 2016.
- Egypt, “The European, Middle Eastern and African Arbitration Review 2015”, Global Arbitration Review, 2015, pp. 59-63.
- Egypt, “The European, Middle Eastern and African Arbitration Review 2014”, Global Arbitration Review, 2014, pp. 58 – 62.
- PPP Middle East & North Africa Summit, Speaker on Egyptian PPP Project Agreements, City & Financial, 2007.
- “Venture Capital Investment in Egypt – Legal and Regulatory Issues”, International Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2004/2005, Euromoney Publications, 2004.
- “Equity Transactions in Egypt – Legal and Regulatory Issues Faced by Inward Investors”, International Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2003/2004, Euromoney Publications, 2003.
- “Gas Regulation in Egypt”, Global Competition Review, 2003.
- “The Regulatory Regime for Public Utilities Concessions in Egypt”, International Power Finance Review 1999/2000, Euromoney Publications, 1999.
- “Egypt Amends Companies law”, Middle East Executive Reports (“MEER”), May 1998.
Founding Partner & Head of Dispute Resolution
T + (202) 2796 2042
john.matouk @ matoukbassiouny.com
- George Washington University : J.D. (with honors) (1997)
- Yale University: BA (Double Thesis, International Relations/Literary Theory with high honors) (1993)
- John Matouk ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Mergers & Acquisitions (Egypt) – IFLR 1000, 2014
- John Matouk ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Egypt – Chambers & Partners, 2013