John Matouk is the Founding Partner of Matouk Bassiouny and heads the firm’s Dispute Resolution and Commercial groups. A New York qualified lawyer and dual national, John has been practicing in Cairo for over 15 years and is consistently recognized in industry publications as a leading lawyer in Egypt. John is also an Associate Professor of Practice in the Department of Law, at the School of Public Affairs and Global Policy, the American University in Cairo.
- John Matouk provides ‘sharp advice.’” – Legal 500, 2014
- “John is well known and commended for his analytic approach to both corporate law and dispute resolution.” – Chambers & Partners, 2014
- “John is well respected by peers. He is often the first point of contact for international clients, who appreciate his understanding of the local commercial environment.” – Chambers & Partners, 2013.
- “[John is] highly praised for what one client called his “perfect knowledge of the law and in-depth understanding of our company.” – Chambers & Partners, 2012.
- “John Matouk and Osman Mowafy are number one in litigation.” – Legal 500, 2012.
- “[John Matouk and his team] made the acquisition [which another firm had made impossible]; they were supportive […] I did seven trips to Egypt and each time we had a meeting with very good participation and each time [John Matouk] provided a solution.” – IFLR 1000, 2012.
John’s disputes work encompasses a large and varied practice across the Middle East and North Africa. He has vast experience advising on disputes before the local courts as well as on arbitrations under the auspices of major arbitral institutions including the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and the Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA). His recent experience includes representing parties in high-value complex commercial arbitrations, oil and gas disputes, and investment disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representation of a major Japanese automotive manufacturer in successfully blocking claims in Egyptian courts exceeding USD 1 billion in complex litigation involving procedural and substantive arguments relating to the validity and enforceability of arbitration clause within the context of commercial agency/distribution relationships in Egypt.
- Representation of a German company in a multi-million dollar arbitration concerning a sub-contract agreement in Egypt.
- Representation of a major landlord in a multi-million dollar dispute concerning a lease agreement for commercial premises in proceedings registered with CRCICA.
- Representation of a European company in a multi-million dollar dispute in the energy sector against an Egyptian company in proceedings registered with CRCICA.
- Representation of a mobile operator in Egypt in relation to a litigation dispute before the Egyptian Courts in connection with setting aside of a UK arbitral award and an arbitration dispute against thirteen shareholders.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association – Member
- New York State Bar Association – Member
- English Law Society, Foreign Registered Lawyer – Member
- Young Presidents’ Organization (“YPO”) – Board Member, YPO Cairo Chapter
- American Chamber of Commerce – Member
- School of Global Affairs and Public Policy, American University in Cairo – Associate Professor of Practice (Department of Law)
- Board of Trustees, St. Andrew’s School – Board Member
- Egypt, “The European, Middle Eastern and African Arbitration Review 2014”, Global Arbitration Review, 2014, pp. 58 – 62.
- Egypt, “The European, Middle Eastern and African Arbitration Review 2015”, Global Arbitration Review, 2015, pp. 59-63.
- PPP Middle East & North Africa Summit, Speaker on Egyptian PPP Project Agreements, City & Financial, 2007.
- “Venture Capital Investment in Egypt – Legal and Regulatory Issues”, International Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2004/2005, Euromoney Publications, 2004.
- “Equity Transactions in Egypt – Legal and Regulatory Issues Faced by Inward Investors”, International Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2003/2004, Euromoney Publications, 2003.
- “Gas Regulation in Egypt”, Global Competition Review, 2003.
- “The Regulatory Regime for Public Utilities Concessions in Egypt”, International Power Finance Review 1999/2000, Euromoney Publications, 1999.
- “Egypt Amends Companies law”, Middle East Executive Reports (“MEER”), May 1998.
Founding Partner & Head of Dispute Resolution
T + (202) 2796 2042
john.matouk @ matoukbassiouny.com
- George Washington University : J.D. (with honors) (1997)
- Yale University: BA (Double Thesis, International Relations/Literary Theory with high honors) (1993)
- John Matouk ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Mergers & Acquisitions (Egypt) – IFLR 1000, 2014
- John Matouk ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Egypt – Chambers & Partners, 2013